What's new
What's new

Is there a better way to wire this drum switch

fire22

Plastic
My (1953 10R) lathe as I bought it was set up with a drum switch, start stop button switch, 3 ph motor starter, 1 ph 115/230volt motor and no reverse ability. The lathe when new in 1953 came with a 3 ph motor. Along its history line the motor was swapped for a 1 hp 1 ph motor wired for 230 volt operation. Long story short, I removed the wiring on the late, removed the AB motor starter and the start stop momentary contact push button switch so that I can run it with just the drum switch, and also have reverse.
If someone can comment on my wiring of the motor to the switch, and let me know if there is a better way. Although this works perfectly and I have forward and reverse, I am not too excited to have an energized wire to the motor as shown connected to SW2 along with L1, if there is a better way with this drum switch I would like to know, otherwise I will install a disconnect. I am running this setup as 230V.
The drum switch is a Dayton 2X442, motor is a WEG 115/230V - please review the attachments - thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5925.jpg
    IMG_5925.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 189
  • fullsizeoutput_221.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_221.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 311
  • fullsizeoutput_222.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_222.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
I think your current diagram is the best you can do with this switch. If you had a double pole, triple throw switch instead, you could successfully switch both poles and have reversing.

allan

Back