What's new
What's new

South Bend 9" and heavy 10 interchangeability

Remy

Plastic
Hi all,

I'm from The Netherlands and I recently bought a Heavy Ten which are quite rare over here.
Unfortunately someone raped my Heavy 10 (which was a metric unicorn btw) by changing almost all the gears and tumbler drive for a v-belt pulley setup.

IMG_6727.jpg

Now I have to say that everything works okay except for thread cutting so it is workable as it is, but I would like to restore it to it's original glory.

Last week someone offered me the remains of what used to be a South Bend 9, not restorable but is does have all gears etc. Does anyone know if any of the parts between the 9" and heavy 10 are interchangeable?

Kind regards, Remy

The gears are not interchangeable between the 9 and heavy 10. 9” lathe gears should be 18 diametral pitch and 3/8” wide. The heavy 10’s are 16 DP and 1/2” wide. Good news is that 16DP gears are still a standard available in the US at least.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Bad news I'm afraid. You likely will have to purchase used parts from America, which will have high shipping costs.

I looked at Tony's lathes site and they only have gears for 9 inch South Bend clones.

Thanks for the fast replies all! I'll source the part from America like suggested. Thanks!

So I was able to by a complete gear set including banjo, everything. For a really good price and only a 20minute drive. Couldn't be happier.
Unfortunately it didn't fit as it turns out that the lathe, sold to me as a heavy 10, is actually a heavy 9.
Spindle diameter is only 27mm, that should have been a red flag to me, but I guess I had my 'finally a new tool goggles' on :wall:
I will keep it though and start looking for a gear set and banjo that will fit. With a bit of luck I have probably already found the revers tumbler, which is as the ten but overall smaller due to the limited height on the 9.

I've also got a Heavy 9, built in late Dec 1938 with quick change gearbox and UMD cast iron base. Think model number is 159C

Much like you, I had no clue what it was until I got it home and realized it wasn't a Heavy 10 like I thought it was from the seller's pictures... It's as I found it and not being restored at this point. Glad to share any details or info that I can. I don't check in here too often but think you can email me via my profile if needed.

Thanks, very nice to have access to info if needed . Very funny that we both had the exact same experience with this lathe hahaha,
I checked mine for numbers and in the bed is stamped 91313, the catalog number is 109A length of bed is 4.

Back