What's new
What's new

Thread Chaser Question

Denis

Aluminum
Cleaning up parts on my recently aquired Heavy 10. I took the thread dial apart, cleaned it and when I was putting it back together realized I didn't mark the gear in relation to the number dial on top. Usually when a certain relationship is critical, some type of arrangement is used in making the part. For the thread dial I have this isn't the case; the gear is held on with a set screw.

Must the gear and number dial be positioned in a certain way to work correctly?

Very simple, engage the half nuts, turn on lathe 2 sec to take up the slop in the leadscrew nuts etc. Then set the dial to any line, that you like, as long as its a line. Done

Don't understand how you can tighten the gear that turns the dial that way. It runs on the lead screw and it would not be possible to get to the set screw that holds the dial gear onto the dial shaft.

That particular site " The SBL Workshop " has a lot of good information On your lathe as well as others. It also has a lot of general information for setting up, cleaning and maintaining your South Bend lathe. Make sure you carefully go through his site to see all the information he has to offer. Note he is currently upgrading his site so make sure you revisit his site often.

Stay safe and have fun.
Joe.

Joe;

You were right; the link to the SBL Workshop site was very helpful. There is a wealth of info there. Next time I have a problem, I look there and most likely find an answer.

Thanks

Back