What's new
What's new

Threading problem model 9 a

Jordan429

Plastic
Set gear box to cut a 20 tpi and its cutting 15tpi. Why is this? It's my first lathe trying to learn as I go thanks

Set gear box to cut a 20 tpi and its cutting 15tpi. Why is this? It's my first lathe trying to learn as I go thanks

Probably something to do with the gear chain at the head of your lathe. Give us a complete list of the gears in the chain and clear photos of the gearing. Most of the gears are stamped with the number of teeth, but if you can't find a number, COUNT THEM. All this assumes that there aren't any problems with your gearbox.

Further to that - do you have the right stud gear installed? There are two of them to choose from

SB Model A end gears.jpg

A look at your chart on your quick change gear box in the first column on left will tell you that there are 20 tooth and 40 tooth stud gears

Here are 12 pages of way more info on the 9A (no open? means I need your email address - which you can private message me - with something useful in the subject line - like SB 9A gearing)

http://bnordgren.org/files/model-a-gears.pdf

have fun

Last edited:
Jordan, the 40 tooth stud gear cuts the tpi in half for the top row of the chart. You’d notice that large of a gear in there, and there is no 30 tpi on the chart anyway, so nothing to cut in half to get 15. Just a guess but the inner gear on the stud gear is 24 tooth (the one that contacts the reverse tumbler gears) while the outer is 20 tooth (the one that contacts the lead screw gear.) They both have the same shaft size and key way. If they were reversed it would alter the feed rate. Make sure the smaller gear is out.

Thanks. half nuts trying to get some pics not shure how to post them. Got 20 tooth on top 40 on bottom

If your screw gear is 42 teeth instead of 56 teeth you could get 15tpi on 20. That’s what I do to get 30tpi… I use a 42 tooth for the screw gear and set the box for 40 tip. If your lathe doesn’t have a 56 tooth gear they are always available on eBay cheap.

The 40 tooth is running in line now with a 56 tooth on outside of the 40 as a spare are we saying swap the to to correct the issue

Ok I switched the gears around and now I tried cutting a 20 tpi and it cut a 22 tpi alot closer. thought I had it, anyone have any suggestions?

anyone have any suggestions?

I'll assume you actually got the 20 stud, 80 idler and 56 tooth gear box gears all on and meshing properly

You can assure yourself it is either doing what its supposed to or not.

Put it in 20 TPI, engage half nut and turn chuck exactly one turn after removing all lost motion - like one turn before the measuring turn

A dial indicator set against the carriage and zeroed will move exactly .050" in that measuring turn - this is because one inch divided by 20 = .050"

Last edited:
It's real easy to misread the numbers on the chart on the quick change gear box on the 9A lathe. Especially if there is any wear and tear to the plate. I've made that mistake a time or two on my 9" SBL. Older age and eye sight along with delxsus, makes it real easy to make mistakes with the placement of the lever. Ken

Sounds like you had two problems in the beginning. The gear train should be 20 - 80 - 56 which you have corrected and got you closer. I think the second problem might be the gear attached to the end of the lead screw in the gearbox being flipped over. This thread from a little over a year ago describes the problem better than I can.

Strange threading problem

Hope this helps.

Ben

Back