Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hrmm. I don't file the flanks of the threads at all, just the very tips with a fine (#4) half-round file laying flat across the threads. You can fine *all kinds* of files here:

Shopping

Including pippin files. Note these are the Swiss and German files, excellent quality but not very cheap. There is 10 pages of files there if you scroll to the bottom and go to the next page.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    Hrmm. I don't file the flanks of the threads at all, just the very tips with a fine (#4) half-round file laying flat across the threads. You can fine *all kinds* of files here:

Shopping

Including pippin files. Note these are the Swiss and German files, excellent quality but not very cheap. There is 10 pages of files there if you scroll to the bottom and go to the next page.
    Good link but even they do not carry the 8" in a #4 cut...that I saw. Apparently 6" are still available although rare and expensive. If anyone happens upon a box of the good old stuff I could probably finish out my life with 2 fresh ones! I started out as an Aerospace template maker and a lot of basic tools and what can be done with them are in my blood.

3. Likes pavt, texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    Hrmm. I don't file the flanks of the threads at all, just the very tips with a fine (#4) half-round file laying flat across the threads.
    I don't actually "file" the flanks, more probably just clean them out with a file. There are usually pieces of swarf "rolled" into the thread, which the file helps to break loose / remove.

5. Likes pavt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    Good link but even they do not carry the 8" in a #4 cut...that I saw. Apparently 6" are still available although rare and expensive. If anyone happens upon a box of the good old stuff I could probably finish out my life with 2 fresh ones! I started out as an Aerospace template maker and a lot of basic tools and what can be done with them are in my blood.
    Try here: (German) High-quality Files and Rasps for professionals - Friedr. Dick
    They are on a par with the Vallorbe Swiss files

I see they have up to 8" in up to #4 cut in some shapes (I'm partial to the half-round for most work)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More threads today! and a little knurl to boot! I'm stoked that I can add a couple of the minor skills I've learned since getting this machine to make stuff I need!

I guess I should say stuff that my lathe needs.

I made this oil port nut out of some brass. I'm going to make a couple for those areas where it takes a screw driver to get the plug out to oil the saddle stuff. I am not sure of the design yet I might want to add a bigger chamfer to the top edge or maybe a radius or dome top...but hey I know I can do it. Maybe a matching set for the graduated dials too! ;-)

p1060333.jpg

Of course I made the collet closer already to use collets on small diameter work but I thought I would give it a go with the three jaw and not too bad for this basic design. I think the collets will be an asset for something more fancy though

p1060335.jpg

p1060342.jpg

8. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    I'm going to make a couple for those areas where it takes a screw driver to get the plug out to oil the saddle stuff.
    Not really a good idea. They are recessed into their holes for a reason - if they weren't, they would interfere with the operation of the compound and/or the cross-slide.

But keep practicing, because those skills will come in handy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Not really a good idea. They are recessed into their holes for a reason - if they weren't, they would interfere with the operation of the compound and/or the cross-slide.

I was thinking ones closer to work might be at risk to strikes, and breaking off. Not all spinning work related, but maybe set ups too. The hole closer to dial is generally out of the action though, so to speak.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't imagined any operations where I would/could strike these! But, I'm a novice. I'll give it a good look before spinning my wheels too much! I've had a bolt sticking up out of that location all year that was taller than my custom plug.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could also catch your hand on one of them while you are spinning a feed handle. Just be careful.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could also catch your hand on one of them while you are spinning a feed handle. Just be careful.
    Yeah, you kinda talked me out of adding them to my graduated dials for the time being but I did go ahead and make another to stop the incredible amount of fumbling I do when I oil these ports. I'm gonna make a thread shortly in the what did you make for your lathe area.
    p1060375.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quite honestly I put several knurled brass knobs on mine and it does make using it much easier. However, you do have to be awake when using it.