What's new
What's new

"Thrust collar"

ecna

Plastic
Hi, just joined. I have an old 9" bench lathe, model C I believe. I need a replacement threaded/clamp ring which may be referred to as a "thrust collar". It is fitted to the LH end of the main headstock shaft and beds against a fibre washer. Not having a lot of luck at finding a replacement from Grizzleys or anybody in Australia. I have sought a price to have one made - very costly, but it may finish up being the only alternative.

The original, as SB users maybe aware, is cast iron. I decided to remove it in an effort to clean the area around the "clamp", but, alas, it seems to have been resting there with a fracture for some time. It broke about 3/5 around the circumference while trying to unscrew it. The machinist who has offered to re-make one has suggested that it may no reliably braze on such a small cross-section.

Hopefully someone may have a notion or even possibly have such an item in a box full of unusual and rarely asked for parts or know where to point me.

Thanks to anyone in anticipation.

ecna

Ted (@sblatheman) might have one for you. If you can cob together the lathe so it will work for a couple hours, you can probably make one.

Put a washer against the end, and wrap the threads in copper or aluminum strip. Wrap that strip in a hose clamp (jubilee clip). Make the part on the lathe.

allan

Put a washer against the end, and wrap the threads in copper or aluminum strip. Wrap that strip in a hose clamp (jubilee clip). Make the part on the lathe.

allan

Thanks Allan. Now that is very clever; well for some one that didn't think outside the square that far, meaning me, of course. It does answer the question as to whether the late can run without any real great concern. Once made, is there a known clearance to set it at - like may be 0.005" for example?

Thanks n2zon,

There's a challenge I could accept. How do I make contact with Ted? Still a bit new at this game of forums.

Thanks n2zon,

There's a challenge I could accept. How do I make contact with Ted? Still a bit new at this game of forums.

There's a Search page you can select from the header on most pages. On it, you can search by user name. Ted's user page is here:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/sblatheman/

You can send him a "private message" (PM) selecting "Send Private Message" from the menu on the left side.

Check this one out on Ebay $14.50 Plus shipping.
eBay item number:
264225755552 copy number and paste on ebay search.

Chet

Hi Chet,

I tried both eBay.com.au and eBay.com. Put the number given into the search on both but couldn’t win on either. Is there another trick to this, or do you think it may have already gone. Jolly good price.

Ecna

Back