What's new
What's new

Tool Holder

Lathe Junkie

Plastic
I was given a Enco Q35 Tool Post this weekend with only one Tool Holder.

As Enco has been done in by MSC, Any one know what I can do for one or two more Tool Holders??

What is the "Word" on the Post/Holders made by Phase2? I may be able to get one of them with 4 holders but have never heard of them.

Thanks,
CmC

There are many makers of the Phase 2 (and others, don't remember the original maker though) style tool post.
I am assuming you are a hobbyist and not a professional so most of these will work for you depending upon your budget.
I would highly recommend the wedge style tool post rather than the piston type. Better holding.
Do not go cheap between wedge and piston type tool post. You will be better off in the long run.

I have an AXA size tool holder on my South Bend 10k and works well. Bought many extra holders.
There is nothing wrong with the Q35 other than you would have to make extra holders.

Phase 2 has a lot of machine tool accessories they manufacture and are in multiple catalogs and major sellers.
There are other manufacturers of tool posts. Some are finished a little better than others.

I have a Phase 2 QCTP that I love. I prefer obtaining the Shars holders, because they can be had for about $12 a piece when they're on sale.

Thank you for the information. I will see if either of these companys products will fit on the Enco Holder and go from there.

Thanks again

CmC

You will NOT be able to fit the CDCO, Shars and other company tool holders to the Enco Q35 tool post.
The Q35 tool post is a T-style with ridges running the length. I could be wrong on this but I am going off of what you state.
The tool posts and holders we are referring to are dovetail style.
They will NOT fit the one you have. They will only fit the dovetail style tool posts

I think you will have a hard time finding holders for the Q35 at a reasonable price.

The Q35 resembles a Dickson tool post.The UK or EU version of the Aloris tool post.Try googling Dickson tool post.You may find some interesting info.The Dickson has as many knockoffs as the Aloris.

If they are the ones I am thinking of, they look like the middle set here:

toolholders.jpg

The others are for an aloris MA knockoff, and a hardinge QC toolpost. They're all home-made out of 1018 steel. Not hardened in any way.

I use that Enco turret toolpost in my 10L almost exclusively. You can find the tool holders for sale occasionally but the best bet is roll yer own:

toolholder_storage.jpg

There are about 3 OEM ones, there, the rest are home made. I have the print around here somewhere.

If they are the ones I am thinking of, they look like the middle set here:

The others are for an aloris MA knockoff, and a hardinge QC toolpost. They're all home-made out of 1018 steel. Not hardened in any way.

I use that Enco turret toolpost in my 10L almost exclusively. You can find the tool holders for sale occasionally but the best bet is roll yer own:

There are about 3 OEM ones, there, the rest are home made. I have the print around here somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the information.

Making my own Tool Holder is WAY beyond my level right now!!!(No Mill!!!) May be later but not right now.

I will start out with the Phase II Tool Post/Holder set I have and when able up-grade to something else.

Thanks again,

CmC

Back