What's new
What's new

Tool Post Question

Menessis

Aluminum
I have a Yuasa BXA piston tool post. It needs some loving but I'm sure it will work fine. Question is I only need an AXA for my Heavy 10.
So is it worth while to get tool holders for this post or just go with my original idea of getting a Phase II wedge style AXA.

Meanwhile I will make do with the old turret style I have.

Menessis

Its a judgement and budget call on your part. I like to err towards heavier and bigger if it can fit. Bigger, heavier equals greater stability. Piston type are economy style, verse wedge type are more accurate for repeatability, if you are obsessive.

AXA is really cheap even in Aloris brand. BXA not terrible either in cost. Without looking it up, I'm thinking Aloris is not much more expensive in those sizes, verse phase 2. I'd take a hard look at that. Lots of offerings in those sizes on ebay if I recall.

...I'm thinking Aloris is not much more expensive in those sizes, verse phase 2. I'd take a hard look at that. Lots of offerings in those sizes on ebay if I recall.

Yeah, not really that much more expensive, if you think that 8X is "not that much more expensive"!

As for the BXA TP, I'd sell it and pick up an AXA TP for my Heavy 10. Wedge style only.

My 10L came with a BXA size post and holders. I tried it out but it was a challenge to get larger tool bits low enough for proper cutting height. As mentioned... tough to see around as well.

So I would go with sell the BXA and buy an A size.

WoW that's a good deal for the Aloris. My problem is that 300 US turns into almost $500 Canadian by time it gets here. :(

If you're not in a hurry, shop around ebay and such for a bit. They come and go on ebay for similar. That link I posted is probably the best price new in the US you'll find though. Not sure the shipping and customs, but if you contact Ajax, they may know. Or add it to cart, see what fees pop up.

I sold an extra Dorian AXA that came with my new lathe and two tool holders last year on eBay. Sold price for reference $140.00 US. I am sure there are deals if you are patient.

I still have a Dorian AXA that I bought new 15 years ago. Third lathe for this post. Current lathe is a SB Heavy 10L. We have a BXA for our SBL 400 at work, that would be too big on a Heavy 10 in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WoW that's a good deal for the Aloris. My problem is that 300 US turns into almost $500 Canadian by time it gets here. :(

Ummh. well... I've been able to pick up "many" nice 4-ways.. for about the price EACH ...of a QCTP HOLDER alone.. so

.. didja know an entire 4-Way, usually only three if not just two .. tools left IN it can be swapped pretty quickly?

:D

Got enuf HSS, HSS-Cobalt, Stellites to last me 2 or 3 lifetimes. I mean.. yah don't toss 'em like an "insert". Yah lightly touch-up the grind and carry-on.

A "carbide guy" might disagree, but then again ... a 10EE or HBX-360-BC can actually put carbides to their fastest, bestest, most powerfully driven use.

A SB ten, OTOH? They weren't really built for carbides, were they? Tiny Rex AA and AAA even more than thick Rex 95, actually.

Inserted Carbides can work on a SB. And DO.

But..... yah have to be right selective as to choosing which ONES for a low RPM, low spindle HP, low feed power, and most of all VERY low STIFFNESS, light-duty hobby/JR HS "trainer" lathe.

Lest you take the modest compound right TF off the cross!

Nicest QCTP made won't make the lathe under it any stronger, stiffer, nor more powerful.

How far would $500 loonies go towards trade-up to at least a "medium" lathe?

SHARP HSS has turned out a Helluva lot of dead-nuts accurate and drop-dead LOVELY work off SB 9 and 10 lathes.. in skilled and patient hands.

Even with lantern TP's

Might yah just "run what yah got" with less expensive lathe toolholding.... and look around for a mill?

:D

I see Travers has the Phase II kit on sale again.

I'm wondering what parting blades fits that #7 tool holder. It doesn't really give any hints other than it's "universal" and 1/2" high.

Thanks
Menessis

I have been shopping around looking at local distributors. It seems like Aloris has two lines. One is the Aloris AXA Super Precision and the other one is just Aloris AXA. I see better prices and made me look close. No mention of "super precision". Also there was one review where they said the quality was very poor! May be just an entry level version Aloris puts out??

Menessis

I have been shopping around looking at local distributors. It seems like Aloris has two lines. One is the Aloris AXA Super Precision and the other one is just Aloris AXA. I see better prices and made me look close. No mention of "super precision". Also there was one review where they said the quality was very poor! May be just an entry level version Aloris puts out??

Menessis

Wedge style is generally considered the better, regardless the maker.

Piston style is economy.

That may be your price difference. I'd recommend wedge style.

I'm very partial to the KDK QCTP. Been using them for many years. Thought about an Aloris but after using a few I came away liking the
KDK better only because that big lever on the Aloris blocks a clear view of whats spinning in the spindle...

Just my 2 cents.

Does Aloris even make a piston type?

Here is what I have found local to me. https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/91756643?fromRR=Y

And a Phase II on sale here Sept 2020 CAN Brochuire V1—Page 36

I think the older Aloris stuff is piston..or can be piston. A lot of us purchase used here and I think the consensus is that the piston Aloris holders can have slightly undersized dove tails and make it difficult to fit on a new wedge style holder. Maybe not in the size you are looking at but CXA and up for sure. Good luck. I wasn't aware of that KDK style until today. That looks smart to me but of course it would be good to read up on that style to see the pluses and minuses for the size you need.

Back