Tool post recommendations - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

mwill, using the info above have you looked on your local craigslist and or facebook marketplace? sometimes good deals can be found there also. Jim

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not yet, not on Facebook. Occasionally look on Craigslist but find it cumbersome at times. But agree deals can be had.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thinking out loud, but if I were to get a QCTP, how could I get the T-nut machined to fit my Model 9A compound? I don't own a mill.
    Or do they offer T-nuts the right size out of the box?
    (You guys are a bad influence on me!)

PMc

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can machine the nut in the lathe, I have done many of them. Set the nut in the chuck so that the side of the nut is against the chuck body then face off the edge of the nut. You will need to do both sides to keep it centered so measure and scribe lines to machine to. I turn the center of the leg of the "T" round.

5. Likes Kevin T liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I "machined" my T-nut with an angle grinder loaded with a cut-off wheel, then filed it nice and flat.

7. Likes Kevin T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

or the poor mans mill, a hacksaw and a file...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

..thanks..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to throw another option out there, I found an Enco 4-way turret toolpost on eBay that seems to have been made to fit my machine. Max 7/16 bits (I use 3/8) and it came with the t-nut already made to fit my compound. Whoever had it before must have had an identical lathe, it just went right on and worked perfectly, rock solid. $30 shipped. No rust, no mangles screws, nada.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe Enco was bought by MSC. Am I crazy but the prices have more than doubled for Phase II QCTP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mwill135 View Post
    I believe Enco was bought by MSC. Am I crazy but the prices have more than doubled for Phase II QCTP?
    No, you're not crazy, they have marked up... a LOT. That's why I shop elsewhere if possible. Fortunately a lot of good old stuff is available on eBay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The older Enco stuff is indeed pretty good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    No, you're not crazy, they have marked up... a LOT.
    Supposedly, if you set up an account at MSC, you can get some discounts. I haven't tried it, so take this with a grain of salt.

I do miss the Enco specials.

Also, I GAVE you a link to a Phase II tool post set that was on ebay for about #160. I guess that you're not interested in getting it cheaply. If so, then just pay the MSC prices and be done with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Supposedly, if you set up an account at MSC, you can get some discounts. I haven't tried it, so take this with a grain of salt.

I do miss the Enco specials.

Also, I GAVE you a link to a Phase II tool post set that was on ebay for about #160. I guess that you're not interested in getting it cheaply. If so, then just pay the MSC prices and be done with it.
    Didn't realize that link was for me. I already have the old Enco toolpost, so I'm not shopping for one. I also have an account at MSC and it sure doesn't seem like I'm getting any breaks -- but then I'm not spending 5 grand a week there either.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a China axa that I used I think twice, bought it for a heavy 10 and ended up returning the heavy 10, it’s really nice, solid, wedge type, still has all the scraping of course. I have a heavy 10 t nut and blank nut that goes with it if your interested. I liked the fit my heavy 10 with it

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    Didn't realize that link was for me. I already have the old Enco toolpost, so I'm not shopping for one. I also have an account at MSC and it sure doesn't seem like I'm getting any breaks -- but then I'm not spending 5 grand a week there either.
    Sorry, I thought you were the original poster.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like my KDK being a SoCal guy. Clean lines. Of course, the Chinese have copied it so you can buy USA used or Chinesium brand new. 0 size for 9 and 10 South Bends, 100 for 13", 150 or 200 series for the big lathes.

Chinesium here, HHIP.com so not too bad: 6 PIECE KDK STYLE-0 QUICK CHANGE TOOL POST & HOLDER SET (3900-5424) 769053099552 | eBay

John

100_8496.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look for a AXA Phase II tool post on Ebay for less than $150.

20. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’d do 65# Plus ship on my axa with 3 holders, blank tee nut and milled tee nut for heavy 10

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you say you are a beginner, do you have any experience yet? What came with your 10k, anything? I know your original question is for recommendations on a quick change tool post which is fine and you have plenty of answers. The point I’m trying to make is if you are completely new don’t wait till you have a qctp to keep you from using your equipment. I’d be more concerned with learning how to sharpen high speed tool bits first. On smaller flexible lathes where you put that qctp on there and the tool hangs off the side of the compound you create more stress in the assembly. Throw in a poorly ground cutter and you will get real frustrated. I swore off those little POS lathes and kept going bigger thinking that was my problem. Years later I picked up another SB 9” and my opinion completely changed as I somewhat knew what I was doing. In fact I prefer the old crappy lantern style tool post and holders on smaller lathes as it keeps the pressure centered on the compound and saddle. I can take larger cuts without as much chatter even when parting. I figured that my skills will never compare to the quality of work that the “old geezer” performed on it so I’ll just use what he had. Now if you already are past that point of the learning curve and want to make life easier then go for it. Well that’s my two cents worth.
    Regards Z

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mcload View Post
    Thinking out loud, but if I were to get a QCTP, how could I get the T-nut machined to fit my Model 9A compound? I don't own a mill.
    Or do they offer T-nuts the right size out of the box?
    (You guys are a bad influence on me!)

PMc
    You use wotever OTHER TP you had.. or a stack of scraps & shims and a pair of ignorant BOLTS . to temporary-mount a cutting-tool on the lathe and turn, not mill, the Tee-nut as a stepped DISK. Sort of a hat and brim shape.

That gets you the height for the center post at the minor width of the tee slot, and the proper thickness "brim" or skirt for the tee-slot height.

Then you hacksaw the skirt off to form two parallel sides to fit the Tee'slot's width. Curved ends do not matter.

How-to in several places "Right here, on PM", and with photos.