What's new
What's new

Tool post upgrade for South Bend 9

Rhodian45

Plastic
I inherited a South bend 9 from my great grandpa, and after doing the much needed restoration on it, I have been using the Lantern tool posts that came with it, but they just plain suck. Does anyone have any inexpensive recommendations for a qctp that would work for the 9. There are so many different options at varying prices, I don't want to buy something and regret it later, but also don't want to break the bank for something that's a starting hobby. Thanks to any that answer.

I also have a Phase II. Mine is axa piston style on a 10” Logan and have been very satusfied. I recommend the wedge style though as it has become industry standard.

Ditto, Phase II, wedge type.
Do not go with a piston type, spend the few extra $$ for the wedge.

Offer rescinded due to apparent lack of interest. It's going to a local PM member who asked for it.

Sorry for no reply. I appreciate the offer, but after looking over and seeing everyone else saying to stay away from the piston, I started looking for wedge styles on ebay. Again thank you for the offer, and sorry I did not reply sooner.

Sorry for no reply. I appreciate the offer, but after looking over and seeing everyone else saying to stay away from the piston, I started looking for wedge styles on ebay. Again thank you for the offer, and sorry I did not reply sooner.

No worries. :) Good luck on your search for a wedge type QCTP. Easily found for $$ to $$$.

The Quick Change toolposts are nice and are very handy when multiple tools are involved in a project. However, do not toss out the lantern tooling because, especially on a 9" lathe, real estate can be limited and crowded and you will find that in some cases, there just isn't room for the big tool post between chuck and tail stock. In these cases, only the lantern toolpost will get your cutting point in where it needs to be.

I have a 10k, which is a newer SB 9. A modern QCTP is the best mod you could do for a SB 9. It makes a huge difference. I use a Multi-fix A size. They are superb, but a bit more money than the Aloris type wedge.

The Quick Change toolposts are nice and are very handy when multiple tools are involved in a project. However, do not toss out the lantern tooling because, especially on a 9" lathe, real estate can be limited and crowded and you will find that in some cases, there just isn't room for the big tool post between chuck and tail stock. In these cases, only the lantern toolpost will get your cutting point in where it needs to be.

I've found that follow rests don't always play well with Aloris style tool posts. Always keep a lantern style in your toolbox, just in case.

That being said, I recently picked up a Dorian AXA set and I think its every good or better than the Aloris it replaced.

I concur with the wedge-type set-up. Do yourself a favor and purchase a tangential tool holder for 1/8", or my favorite, the 1/4" HSS bits. The tangential is very versatile, and makes sharpening easy. The HSS bits are cheap, and work better for me than carbide. Regards, Clark

Back