What's new
What's new

Tool For Setting Angle of Compound on 9"

mcload

Hot Rolled
The older I get, the worse becomes my eyesight. I was recently attempting to set an angle on the compound on my 9". In the past, an inspection mirror
was about all it took to see the graduations on the degree scale and reading backwards numerals. Sometimes, leaning over just doesn't cut it,
nor magnifying glasses, nor should I have to resort to pulling the machine away from the wall to get close-up and personal with the scale..

There has to be a better way in this era of cheap digital tools. Has anyone attempted to modify a digital protractor to quickly make this setting?
Not a big deal for chamfers of course, but there are times when you want a bit more accuracy than just an eye-ball setting....say 29 degrees
for threading? I did SEARCH the forums, but couldn't find a tool someone made....but yes, plenty on encoders and the like.

Just wondering if there's a trick out there that someone has developed.

Thank you.

PMc

View attachment 319828 View attachment 319829

I have the same issues. One of my favorite things is more light :D Besides more or better placed shop lights I keep a little flash light in my pocket, I use it constantly.

I also don't like the zero mark for compound at 12 oclock from operator, as my primary way of setting it. As a secondary, its ok.

What I do like as my primary zero mark is at 9 oclock from operator, facing headstock side. If your cross slide does not have a zero mark at 9 oclock, add one. Could even make it fancy if you put a little time into it. Being 90 degrees from the other mark, reading and math in your head is the same, but backwards. Starting at 90 degrees, instead of zero.

With bulk of compound rest hanging over toward tail stock side, reading the mark from HS side is not an issue.

My other trick I use a lot, camera from phone. Take a pic, then zoom way in. :D

I always like to use the most modern conveniences! I've found a penlight and magnifying glass to be a great aid in setting the compound. Any other fancy fixture or digital device is going to be in the way of something you'll want to do. Amazing invention that magnifier!

I setup my tool post so the flat side is dead nuts parallel and square with one side of the compound. Just using a straight edge, a ruler is good enough. Then I use angle gauge blocks to measure off that. You can measure off the chuck body, the part (best), or off the tailstock ram this way. For that matter you could use an ordinary combination square protractor if absolute precision isn't required. When setting up for threading, it's even easier: if you have your tool post parallel and square with the compound, just use the ordinary fishtail gauge and it'll give you the proper angle every time.

Download an application for your phone which illuminates and variably magnifies the area of interest and takes a picture, which can also be magnified if required.

Not ideal for adjustments, free, takes two minutes, and you will find numerous other opportunities to use the app in the shop.

Next time you are settled in front of your TV, search Amazon for devices that do exactly what you want.

My 89yo retired toolmaker father has a similar problem seeing the numbers on his 9A due to poor vision. What he did is to have me set the compound for 29.5 for threading and then again for 45. After setting it for each angle he drilled and reamed a .1875" hole for a dowel pin that goes through compound and into the cross slide. Now he just turns the compound till its close and when the pin drops in he tightens the bolt.

Um, the 29° degree setting for cutting threads does not need to be precise. All it needs is to be a bit less than 30.

If you need more precision and trust the digital protractor, clamp it to a face plate or one of the bed ways and run an indicator along the blade. (It needs to be level to be accurate.)

Back