What's new
What's new

Trying to find info on Heavy 10 electric/independent gearbox feed

hsracer201

Hot Rolled
What was the proper name of the factory option that allows you to run the gearbox off of an electric motor mounted behind the bed? I've been googling electric gearbox, electric leadscrew, etc without much luck. Just trying to find more info.

Any thoughts on the device itself? Worthwhile? Useless?

Thanks.

It is called "Independent Power Feed for 10" Lathes" by SB. Look in the 1967 catalog for info on them. Probably other catalogs, too.

As for usefulness, I don't see why the geared power feeds aren't just as good - the geared feeds are also more precise.

Having used Hardinge with the electric lead screw, I always wondered just what they were thinking. It was probably cheaper to electrify the lead screw instead of running it thru a gearbox.

HLVHs *have* a gearbox. The separate feed drive is considered by many to be among the best. Funny how Deckel used separate DC drives in their later models, too.

Aside from the advertisement in the 1967 catalog I'm not really finding much on it.

I've never had a Heavy 10 with this before, or any lathe for that matter. Is it solely for improved surface finish?

I used the separate electric feed on an HLVH and found it to be Very useful. If you wanted to change the feed for finish etc, there was no need to stop the lathe, change the speed, start the lathe... you just change the motor speed on the feed. ...and it is independent of the gearbox. Pretty cool if you could find it in working condition for a SB 10.

I set up a hydraulic independent feed on a much bigger lathe to cut 5' long splines using an independant milling head....it didnt feed thru the gearbox,but was installed on the tailstock end of the feedscrew......On a SB10 ,the device would be useful for cutting keyways,using a small endmill attachment with its own drive.

Back