What's new
What's new

Trying to identify an old South Bend lathe

kej72

Plastic
I'm trying to identify an older South Bend lathe that my father had for years before recently passing away. Attached a few photos of the lathe and some nameplates; the serial number is in the 54,000s, so I believe that places it pre-1947. Any help or information on the lathe would be greatly appreciated. Also, any thoughts on determining the condition of the lathe based on its age? Thanks!

lathe 1.jpglathe 2.jpglathe 3.jpg

So it looks like a 16 inch to me and it is old - how old I don't know. Its not a 13 inch because of the door, but not sure what door the 14 1/2 lathes have so maybe it could be a 14 1/2. But it has top oilers instead of the newer side oilers. Not sure if the top oiler means it has cast iron bearings versus the brass sleeve bearings that the side oilers have???? Someone else will know.

the pic gives it a bizarre sense of proportion.....but to me the tailstock says it's a "wide bed nine" or a "heavy 10" or possibly even an 11"
Doubt there is a casting date anywhere...but there should be a plate on the end gear cover.(where the brooms are)

Side oilers do NOT necessarily indicate bronze bearings. My 10L has segmented iron bearings along with side oilers. Bronze bearings appeared sometime in the 1940's.

We found this number in the casting, does this correspond to the casting date? Also, this is the serial number we found.
lathe 4.jpglathe serial.jpg
Thanks all for your help!

Side oilers do NOT necessarily indicate bronze bearings. My 10L has segmented iron bearings along with side oilers. Bronze bearings appeared sometime in the 1940's.
I think the bronze bearings came after ww2. I'm not saying bronze bearings weren't used in early models. my 1942 16" has cast iron segmented. The experts here will know. Nice looking well preserved lathe, I like the tray for tools

Was this the original position for the switch? Very scary!
My lathe has the same bar for the switch in the same position. I may move mine. It's welded but it could be made to swiveled over the headstock and the switch repositioned. Or just moved.

So it looks like a 16 inch to me and it is old - how old I don't know. Its not a 13 inch because of the door, but not sure what door the 14 1/2 lathes have so maybe it could be a 14 1/2. But it has top oilers instead of the newer side oilers. Not sure if the top oiler means it has cast iron bearings versus the brass sleeve bearings that the side oilers have???? Someone else will know.

Oops. looked at the door again. Not what I thought the first time. Looks more like a 13" now to me, but I don't know anything about the 11" models.

Thanks all for your help with this! Unfortunately I think I will have to sell it - I don't have a place for it....not to mention the lathe is in FL and I live in RI. Any thoughts on how to sell something like this and what the value would be?

Back