What's new
What's new

turret tool holder ( tools or tool) Greedy or not?

Mikey D

Aluminum
I know, I'm using up my bandwidth for a newby but I have lotsa questions.

I'm interested in a turret type tool holder.

(I kinda grew up in a machine shop and this tool post gets old after a while)

Not that the tool post isn't great, but...

I've see a few of these

turrettoolholder.jpg

(picture from ebay)

and am wondering as to the general consensus. If I am not mistaken (which I frequently am) I'll need to remove the compound slide to use this one???

I've seen the one on Bob's lathe (AAMetalMaster) and it looks like a dual tool holder on the compound slide. Knowing him for the few days I've been here, I'm willing ot bet he fabbed it. (good job Bob!)

Any ideas where to purchase something like that?

or better yet...

... any ideas on how to mill slots on a lathe? (endmill in spindle and work clamped to slide?) (I know, I know, silly idea!)

Not having access to a milling machine it would be dificult for me to fabracate one so I'm kinda stuck purchasing one.

Milling with a cutter in the spindle isn't crazy, as a matter of fact, there are milling attachments expressly made for this.

Another milling technique, hoever not ideal or common, is to attach a milling spindle to the carriage for things like keyways. I saw a weird horizontal milling spindle/elevation/motor assembly that was made to be mounted on a large lathe's compound slide for splining, keyways, etc.

Can't say much ont he turret tool...

The indexing toolpost pictured is more suited for a production application. You will also be limited if a boring bar is fitted due to interference with the locking handle as you rotate the turret. You would be better served using an Aloris type QC toolpost. You are correct the compound rest has to be removed.
Harry

Another milling technique, however not ideal or common, is to attach a milling spindle to the carriage for things like keyways. I saw a weird horizontal milling spindle/elevation/motor assembly that was made to be mounted on a large lathe's compound slide for splining, keyways, etc.
What about a Versamil? Maybe not common, but would be ideal in the right application. Manufactured by a PM Forum member.

VERSAMIL.jpg

There are other kinds of turrets available that
are more suited to non-production environments.

Enco makes these and they are commonly available
on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Craftsman-Atlas-12-lathe-indexing-toolpost-tool-post_W0QQitemZ7577485095QQcategoryZ25290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That was made by royal, who supplied
them to enco I think.

They simply attach to the compound slot where
a lantern post would otherwise be found. Boring
tools as mentioned do get in the way (though
here, not with the indexing handle). One
nice feature of the royal/enco ones is that
they index every 1/12 of a turn IIRC so one
can use a grooving tool to do 45 degree chamfers
and so on. Very handy.

The one I use is strange in that it has one
spot that is QC. There are vertical V-ways
to allow one to put separate tool holders in
place. Also very handy, though the holders are
hard to come by, I guess enco never made many
of these. I've found a few over the years, but
most of them I had to make from scratch.

Jim

Paula, that's exactly the unit I was trying to describe. The meachinist who had it had no idea how he got or why he had it, but could explain its uses. They are sweet units... The one he had used a 7/8" arbor and had a gigantic motor riding on its back...

Jim,
A few questions...
How can I be sure that sucker (or any other sucker) will fit my lathe?

and

What so you mean by,

"it has one spot that is QC."

Thanks!

Halcohead,

Thanks for the vote on my sanity! I've done quite a bit of milling with vertical mills but never on a lathe. Do you think a collet setup is mandatory

or

do you think a 6 jaw centering chuck would hold on tight enough and be centered enough?

I agree, a collet setup is neccessary. If not bcause of lack of grip from a chuck, because the chuck would have to have almost zero runout, and centering a fluted miling cutter is extremely difficult, even with an adjust-tru chuck.

By "QC slot" I mean that one of the four
positions on that turret accepts removeable
toolholders. Here's a picture of a ball
turning tool in the QC position of that toolpost:

jim1.jpg

It has regular turning, boring, cutoff tool
holders as well.

The most important number when seeing if a
turret like that will fit your machine is to
check the distance between the underside
of the turret to the bottom of the slot for the
tool.

Basically what you want is to have the toolbit's
top to be somewhat underneath the lathe axis
centerline, so you can put a few pieces of shim
under the tool to bring it exactly up to center.

You will notice that the seller omitted that
critical number (typical) and somebody's already
asked him that exact dimension.

If you don't want to purchase a commercial
indexing turret, you could make the poor-man's
version which holds four tools but does not
index:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Tp1.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Tp2.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Tp3.jpg

Handy because you can simply remove the entire
turret and all the tools in it stay shimmed to
height.

In any event (commercial or home-built) you need
to make a T-nut to fit your exact lathe compound.

Jim

Thanks again Gentlemen!

This site is better than college!

I kinda figured the chuck wouldn't do it.

I guess the collet setup is next...

How many new threads am I allowed to start? I'm gonna check the history before you's guys get sick of answering old questions ;)

I have two lathes with turret tool holders
on each I love them mine have the locking handle
on top you can rotate nothing in the way

I do have QC ToolPost I have used them in the
past they are nice if you have tool holders
I am working on them so I can use it on my
16" lathes soon

Here is a very interesting kit, which appears to be well designed, and easily constructed, and is buildable by one who has a lathe with a milling attachment.

I suspect with a few creative setups, the requirement for a milling attachment could be eliminated.

Reasonably priced, too, for a fully indexable toolpost, at $39.99 plus $8.10 Priority Mail shipping.

Thanks for the vote on my sanity! I've done quite a bit of milling with vertical mills but never on a lathe. Do you think a collet setup is mandatory
I was fortunate enough to get a 5/8", 3MT milling cutter with my lathe. I have used it for a couple of projects and it works well. I also was making special tool posts.

As for tool posts, I made a QC of my own design. It uses a cylindrical post with a generous flat for indexing the holders. This simplifies the machinning and I have an assortment of easily changable holders that are rock solid and will remount to the exact same position each time.

QConSBLathe.jpg

I have written the project up and submitted it to Village Press for one of their magazines. I am hopeful that it will be published soon.

Paul A.

Peter H,
I saw that kit also, looks like a neat project but without a mill... :(

EPAIII,
Your QC holder looks great. Post up if it gets published, I'd like to see the drawings.

Mikey

"I saw that kit also, looks like a neat project but without a mill .."

Squaring of stock, which appears to be sawn and already pretty square, anyway, can be done on the lathe.

Slotting can also be done on the lathe, as aametalmaster has shown us.

I think it is "doable" on the lathe, with a few carefully thought out setups.

Endmills can be held in a chuck as is often done on the smaller lathes.

Even though my Logan 820 (10 x 20) already has a Phase II AX-type QCTP (100-type in Phase II-speak), I'm considering making this kit on account of the indexable feature, which the Phase II does not have.

Also, because it looks so cool installed on the compound :) .

Incredibly enough, the designer has scaled down this kit for a smaller lathe, perhaps one under 9". Accepts 1/4" tools, only.

Here is the listing for the new kit.

The price is $5 less than the kit mentioned above.

Obviously, I have no relationship with this seller ... I just like good tooling, and am eager to try something new, when it makes functional and economic sense.

Back