What's new
What's new

Under Mount Drive Babbitt Bearings

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
My 1941 13" restoration is coming along. I am about to remove the UMB motor and cone pulley. I understand that the pivot of the UMB is in poured in place babbitt bearings. If, while during disassembly, the babbitt is damaged, or I find out the babbitt was previously damaged, is there an alternative to using babbitt material? These are not shells, but are poured in place, and I have no way of being able to reproduce that. Can oil impregnated bronze bushings be made to replace the babbitt? Not that I could make those either at this stage without a second lathe (maybe next year).

No Babbitt is the very best route to go, that's why it was used there, Hard to damage in tear down, but if not oiled right... dies quickly...Phil

Well, I can understand that, but these are stationary bearings. I believe they are used for alignment only. They are not oiled.

The shaft that goes into them is pinned in place with a set screw. The lower cone pulley rotates on the shaft. My guess is they used babbitt as a replacement for horizontal boring the two ends. Or perhaps for vibration dampening? Maybe, only a guess.

Back