What's new
What's new

Unknown collet

Fal Grunt

Titanium
image.jpg
image.jpg

I recently purchased my grandfathers lathe, of which I will post a write up when I have a little time.

This set up came with the lathe. I know my grandfather was the second owner, but I cannot find any information on this collet. If you click the pictures they will enlarge. Pictures of group of collets, 3C, unknown, 5C. No markings.

Thoughts?

Sorry guys, I must have been already asleep when I posted.

No measurements at the moment. I went through all the tooling websites and catalogs and nothing matched. I was measuring it at the time of looking, but didn't write anything down.

It is a south bend 9".

Diameter of the body is .704, thread is .700-24, before you get excited and say "it is a Stark 3 1/2!" The collet measures 4.450 in length.

The 1A is also a 3c collett thats the one the 9 uses,but your closer sleeve is not the usual one.I have made a few of them,but not one like that.
The SBL sleeve has a nice big flange on it that covers the nose and lets the cap act as a sleeve remover.I use brass caps and have a nockout bar to get the sleeve out.
The good thing is the 3C or 1A collett is readily available,so if you have the closer you will be able to get the colletts that you want.There are round,square,and hex available.
The long one may be identified by measuring the thread carefully,and looking at it under a magnifier.

I did not know the 1A collet is the same as a 3C. Good to know. The drawbar for this collet, as well as the spindle adapter are not usable for 3C collets. There is a thread protector that also serves to remove the spindle sleeve.

Any other leads? Maybe it is home made? The draw bar is nicely made, cast round handle just like my 3C drawbar. The spindle adapter is likewise pretty nice, heat treated, though it does not appear ground.

Any other information you guys would like?

Actually they are slightly different in the over all length,but otherwise interchangable.I dont remember which is longer.I have a set of 2A colletts for my WW2 13" and use a home brew closer setup.It has an aluminum valve handle for a wheel.

Back