What's new
What's new

Upgrade Motor on SB 1002 10K Lathe

Stephen623

Plastic
Hello. Any advice on the following matter would be greatly appreciated.

I have a SB 1002 10K lathe.

I have really enjoyed using the lathe but I find it to be underpowered. I would like to add a VFD and a Seimens servo drive motor to increase the power of the lathe. Is it possible to do this on a lathe that uses a step pulley system? Does anyone using this forum have any experience with this?

Thanks again,

Stephen

I have the same lathe with a 1/2 hp motor.

Is yours a horizontal or underdrive model?

What kind of work are you doing that 1hp is insufficient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The motor is not inline with the spindle. It is mounted below and to the left.

It does fine with softer materials but when I get into harder materials (even mild steel), it just seems like my depth of cut is very limited.

Sure but I'm new this site and I'm not sure how to upload photos. Let me work on that and I'll try to get you some pics.

Ok
If you can figure out the frame size of the motor from the plate you will likely be able to source a larger Hp motor that will fit.
But before you do that what kind of tool bits are you using and what kind of depth of cut are you attempting?

Edit: I can see a carbide insert tool holder.

Light passes is the name of the game on something like a 9/10k. You can put a 5hp motor on there but the belts will slip before you achieve the hogging of hard materials like you have in mind.

You might be better served by HSS there because they require less hp.
I use HSS on my 10K almost exclusively.

What would you consider a light pass, for example on mild steel, 20 thousands? I’m using carbide inserts.

I typically don’t go for more than .020 depth of cut in steel. I have no need to hog off deep cuts.
My 10K is an older model with the flat belts.

I had already bought a 2 hp motor for my Heavy 10L when I decided to try a serpentine belt. I lost interest in the motor upgrade thereafter.

Heavy 10 serpentine belt??

To save some time, I've found that Shoe Goo is the glue to use.

Hey @Mrwhoppee glad to see you drop in on this.
So the OP has a new Grizzly SB 10K not the ‘old’ style like I have.
I’m not sure what kind of DOC he’s expecting though.

Back