What's new
What's new

Use of 3/4" MT Collet on SB-9

EPAIII

Diamond
I want to make a extension holder for 1/8" milling cutters from 3/4" ground rod on my SB-9. I have checked and the stock will fit through the spindle, but there is almost no spare space in there. So, it does not appear that a collet closer could be made to fit around the stock. But one could possibly use an internal thread on a MT collet if the stock were short enough.

I am wondering if anyone has done any work with a 3/4", MT collet on this machine? And how was it done? I would be drilling a well centered hole starting with a carbide spotting bit and then a larger bit for the full depth. Then using a reamer to get it to the exact size. Finally finishing the end with a chamfer, probably 45 degree. Could a MT collet hold it for this without using a draw bar closer?

Or am I better off just dialing it in with a four jaw chuck? Or a three jaw with true centering capability?

You would of course be better off with a bigger lathe, but the best way to do what you want is to use a 3C collet and chuck if you could find one for the 1.5"-8 spindle or alternately a jacobe rubber collet chuck, either 900 or 500 series would work and I suspect finding a Jacobs chuck would be easier than a 3C. Both systems would work because neither system requires a drawbar.

You will need a MT-3 MT-2 sleeve. I think the 9" ers are MT-3 in the spindle and if yours is, then the MT-2 collet w/drawbar will work just fine with parts short enough. Or longer with steady rest. Make an insert for the left end of the spindle with a 13/32 hole to hold the draw bar mostly centered and provide a flange to butt against the end of the spindle. 3/8 all-thread is a perfect draw bar.
Do not over tighten! MT collets have tremendous holding power!!

Pete

there are a couple of options. If you really want a collet chuck that will hold a 3/4 round stock.
I do have a 4c collet speed chuck for my south bend 9A and I love it. it goes up to 3/4" collets. but I never have seen an other one like it.
but you can get a BOSTAR 5C Collet Lathe Chuck Closer With Semi-finished Adp. 1-1/2" x 8 Thread, this on Ebay, and with the 5C collets. anything larger than 3/4" will not fit through the spindle. but it would give you lots of options.
an other venue is the ER collets. the ER32 will go up to 7/8" and you can get metric also.
I would recommend if you are doing something consistent all the time. one of these 2 options will be great.
I know having my 4C speed chuck, really saves a lot of time on so many projects that I am doing,
below is a picture of what I have.

Attachments

• 01 collet chuck.jpg
    01 collet chuck.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 6 .jpg
    6 .jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 45
Another option that I use on my SB-9 is a TG100 colllet holder dialed in on my 3 jaw buck chuck. No restrictions on length and holds up to 1". Easy to find used collets and a holder. I bought a used straight shank holder and shortened the shaft to fit
IMG_3883.JPG
973CED1B-2E10-4A4C-AD94-78DCBCA78FEB.jpg

Last edited:

Back