What's new
What's new

V-belt change

MT.Head

Plastic
Has anybody changed a V-Belt on a 9A SB lathe? It looks pretty straightforward
but I was wondering if there is anything that I should know before I start tearing in to it!

Are you talking about the V-belt that drives the counter shaft or do you have a lathe which has a V-belt driving the spindle in place of the more common flat belt and you want to change that belt?

To replace that belt with a "ready-made" belt you will have to pull the spindle and the countershaft shaft in order to put a new belt in place. OR You could cut the old belt and fashion a new belt using the link style belts which allow you to make a belt of any length you want and allow you to feed the belt through the places it needs to go and then connect up the two ends. Those belts are fairly popular for lathe work and they do function quite well. It's what I would do in your situation because removing the spindle and the countershaft shaft are operations which are relatively simple but which have multiple opportunities for something go wrong if you haven't done that before.

^^
That.
More specific info can be found in the South Bend forum.
I did mine when I serviced the machine (disassembly,cleaning, felts)

But if you want to avoid disassembly (an advantage with the v-belt drives), the link-belt is much faster/easier.

Agree with the link-belt recommendation. In addition to the reduced hassle and risk of screwing up, the link-belts tend to be more uniform and run smoother than regular V-belts (or flat-belts if they have links and/or splices). The risk of belts affecting the surface finish on your parts isn't that high, but if there is any difference at all, link belts will be better, not worse.

John

Back