What's new
What's new

Value of a 1973 South Bend 10K?

R. T.

Plastic
What would be a typical price range for a 1973 Model A, 3.5' bed, CL670Z (10K)? It's mounted on a cabinet, has a horizontal flat belt drive from a 1/2hp motor, and comes with a reasonable amount of tooling and accessories, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

--RT

Wow! One of the most difficult questions to answer. I see from the model number is a horizontal motor drive which is generally thought to be less valuable than the under-mount drive. But from there so much of its value depends on what condition it's in: Is the bed worn, is the spindle worn beyond adjustment, do the spindle and tailstock centers line up, are the cross feed and compound feed screws worn, has the carriage been bashed against a rotating chuck, is the quick change gearbox worn, and so forth.

If you don't have much experience with these machines you'd be well-advised to find somebody who is experienced and get them to help you evaluate the machine.

Lacking any additional information or good quality pictures, I'd put the value at someplace between $500 and $1500 -- again depending on condition.

Dobermann
If it'll help, here's some thumbnail photo's:
Lathe 9.jpgLathe 8.jpgLathe 10.jpgLathe 4.jpg
Lathe 3.jpg

Machine appears to be corrosion free and in good working order.
Thanks for your response.

--RT

Nice, clean looking lathe. If it really is as good as it appears, it's probably worth more than $1500. Based on the "frosting" visible on the ways, it hasn't had much use. Still, don't buy it sight unseen because there are some pretty crafty scam artists out there. Look at it with somebody who knows.

Assuming it’s pretty tight I’d say $1,500. If it had a steady and follow rest I’d say $1,900 and if it had a taper attachment then $2,300-2,500.

Again, this is assuming great ways and minimal backlash everywhere, no broken gear teeth, etc.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

My apologies for not being clear in my original post -- I'll be selling, not buying, this machine, and before posting on eBay or elsewhere I wanted to get an idea of what to ask for the machine. However, I've subsequently gotten the opinion from several members that it might be OK to post the for-sale notice here. So, I've done so in a separate thread.

--RT

Back