What's new
What's new

Value range "guesstimate" for this 16"?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Finally a couple of "maybe" lathes turned up at the same time locally- one of them this 16"

South Bend 16" Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

I'm thinking maybe somewhere around 1/4- 1/3 of the asking price is a more realistic value?

I've really been looking for a 10L or 13, but machines are rare down south here and the few that come up are usually clapped out. I can't find spec's for this machine- specifically weight,spindle bore/length, spindle type (is it an "L" taper?)

I have a restored 9A so am generally familiar with the machines that are all basically the same, but anything unique to the CL 155?

The chuck screws on the spindle like 95% of all SBs. Price is crazy, I'd sell mine in a New York minute for that money. 1500.00, if it is well tooled, chucks, steady, collet closer, center etc. Maybe 2000.00 at the most. More money than that and you should be looking at a real lathe like a Monarch, Lodge and Shipley, LeBlond or an American.

3hp VFD and a 12" chuck on a belt drive? That can't perform worth a shit.

Ask for a cutting test and use that poor performance to your advantage in your haggling.

^^^
Certainly entitled to your opinion, but bashing SB's on a SB forum isn't productive.
I own one, aware of limitations of belt drive vs geared head.

I work on rifle barrels, not ripping off .500 in a single pass. Given that, I prefer the utter simplicity of the SB.

Broken/damaged gears in an old LeBlond or Colchester will exceed the value of the lathe, generally anything on a SB can be repaired at reasonable expense due to availability of most parts.

You should grab that Sheldon, it is as dirt simple as the SB but is even easier to work on...it would be a near perfect barrel work lathe, and all the end gearing is standard off the shelf 16DP

Parts can be scarce but it's so simple it doesn't really matter.

I think you will like it.

^^^
Yessir...trying to get down there tomorrow.
Do they have the same plain spindle bearing construction? Planning to take a bar to pry up on the spindle ends to check for play.

I sold a very similar 14.5" SB on an online auction years ago, good 3 jaw, 4 jaw, steady, some limited tooling, but in running shape under power for 4,500$. The guy seemed pretty happy to get it, I thought it went crazy high money but I didn't complain.

I can't feel for sure if the Sheldon is a plain or roller bearing one, they offered both concurrently...if it's a roller bearing one I don't like using a lift test, but prefer to just check end play and maybe indicate the spindle shoulder if not sure.

BTW- spindle is 2 1/4-8 but most Shledon's have a 2.280" register shoulder, no biggie you just re-bore the register in standard cheap backplates.

let us know how it checks out, I have a soft spot for the Sheldons...loved mine.

I have an older Sheldon 10" X 56" lathe with a taper roller bearing headstock. It was a gift to me because it had a bad bearing at the chuck end of the spindle. I replaced both bearings and it's a pretty nice, if tired, lathe. If I remember correctly it has a 1" spindle bore and a 1.75 X 8 spindle thread. It needs some TLC right now but I would never part with it. It's really too bad South Bend never got around to making a roller bearing headstock lathe.

Bought the Sheldon.
Model no is S-11-36, bed length 56" .
Strange angled legs on the left side of the base that the owner attributed to its design for military use in vehicles mounted up against the wheel well (true?)
No wear ridge whatsoever on the front way near the headstock where I'd expect one.

Is there a manual available for this?
I'm spoiled by the fantastic support available for SB's, with full rebuilding manuals and felt kits, etc. I'd like to first gauge whether it can be lubricated and run (and tear down /rebuild when I've got the time).

Also, if anyone has knowledge of Tree mills, picked up a small one from the same seller, reminds me of a Clausing 8520 in size, posted over in the antiques forum.

Thanks in advance for any info...

9 inch lathes seem to sell pretty fast in FL. 16" lathes don't seem popular, it will sit on Craigslist for years at that price. 1/3 to 1/4 is about right.
CarlBoyd

Well, as Jackie Gleason would say, "sumbitch!"...was a military use lathe.
Thanks very much for the initial lead- and the info.
Going to pick up Monday (he has a wrecker that will load it, and the mill onto my trailer).
While the lathe could be unloaded with an engine hoist, the mill is so top-heavy and tall that I'm thinking I need to arrange the same (wrecker) to unload on my end.

Hoping I can find a reprint of a manual somewhere for the Sheldon....

I don't thing there was a manual, other than a publication much like SB HTRAL.

There is some confusion about the military contract Sheldons, while they were really 11.25" swing as far as the army was concerned it was a 1" collet lathe with 10" swing...post war there were the 10" EXL Sheldon's and those had a true 10" swing...and for more fun there was some overlap.

You can tell the difference by a few key features, such as on yours the saddle wings are higher than the cross slide ways, and there is a hump in the tailstock casting...

If you decide you want a metric kit you might PM member "fine grain"- for a time he offered replicas of the metric sets...he doesn't anymore but might be willing to make the necessary bracket...just have to ask him....as mention at least the gears themselves can be easily sourced being standard 16DP.

Look forward to pics!
Ps- did yo get a steady and follow? They are often out there and if you didn't i will look around.

I have almost an exact copy of that 16" SB. All the critical stuff has been rebuilt with a bunch of new parts from Ted and some labor from him also. I wouldn't ask $6500 for mine............

Nope...no steady or follow rest, but does have the metric change gears. Assuming I can find some information on now to use 'em, that capability will be useful from time to time. Other than a 3-jaw (not an adjust-tru, so it'll never see use) no tooling- so a Phase II BXA is at the top of the list and the search begins for a used 6-jaw Buck, all the MT2 from my SB will carry over though. Been repowered with 3/4 hp, 3-phase but didn't go over the motor specs; so a VFD will need to be ordered (and like my SB, DRO will also be installed).

Will get some more pics up next week, thanks again.

https://xa.yimg.com/df/Sheldonlathe...ztvDGEyMTsVTGSqmxbpj8zkUtQmZBUA&type=download

https://xa.yimg.com/df/Sheldonlathe...r78v882c_VjDWqhU2MMpzUOXIvt-H7I&type=download

Hopefully that will hold you over while you wait to join the group...John Knox frequents it too and worked at Sheldon for many year..,a real gentleman and a wealth of info.

Ps- there is a Sheldon in the for sale section, also an 11 and has all the accessories, don't know if he would sell them separately but doesn't hurt to ask.

A big problem with the old large swing lathes is top spindle rpm is limited. Makes for a problem with small parts. Lathes with ball or rollers bearing can be sped up but not so much on a sleeve bearing.

Tom

True, this was a "minus" with the SB (and I didn't need the swing ) which is why I never even looked at it and put the Sheldon at the top of the look-at list. Sheldon top end is 1375 rpm, with the VFD will easily get whatever is needed.

Back