What's new
What's new

Very interesting 1926 south bend cat# 20-XB

mattsix

Aluminum
I picked this up today,1926 south bend cat# 20-XB.Catalog says no power anything and no capability to thread.Catalog page was sent to me by Dennis turk(Hi dennis,pretty quick huh).Very neat little lathe,dennis says it was most likely made for polishing and/or second op work.At first glance could be mistaken for a lathe missing parts

Attachments

• 000_1097.jpg
    000_1097.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 981
  • 000_1098.jpg
    000_1098.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 784
  • 000_1099.jpg
    000_1099.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 840
  • 000_1104.jpg
    000_1104.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 691
Hey, someone stole your leadscrew! I'll bet there aren't many of those. That would be worth putting in the "museum".

thanks paul,i've got an apb out on it.Hoping it turns up:)).From what dennis tells me he has never seen one outside of the catalog,it's a very interesting lathe.Inside the apron it says 9-70 special.I would love to see it get a first class resto,dennis says it needs a turk works paint job and i tend to agree.I do amateur resto's,i do dis-assemble everything but tend to just remove grime and loose paint before paint.This i think will get stripped completely and paint,it's all there.

mattsix that is cool. Talk about a simple lathe, don't think their is much more you could leave off. Keep us posted on anything you find out about the old girl.

clay27bsouthbend,ty and yes that is about as simple as you can get.i will keep everyone posted on it

Many lathes like that have been made over the years.Leblond called them R.P. or rapid production models.Some of those had gear boxes and feed rods,but no lead screw.

How did you do with your lathe?

I picked this up today,1926 south bend cat# 20-XB.Catalog says no power anything and no capability to thread.Catalog page was sent to me by Dennis turk(Hi dennis,pretty quick huh).Very neat little lathe,dennis says it was most likely made for polishing and/or second op work.At first glance could be mistaken for a lathe missing parts

I picked up the exact same lathe from a neighbor. I thought, like you it was missing parts, but came to realize it was supposed to be that way. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and getting it set up. Have you found out any more info on the lathe?

These were called "9-inch Special Metal Turning Lathes", made into the early 30's and were a low cost
O series based on the 9 inch Junior parts (not finished). Probably phased out 1933 or so, because the
number 20 catalog number was reused on the 9 inch tool maker. There also was a Special number 19 which
was a 10 inch lathe. It had a lead screw and reverse and IMO was the lathe Sears sold as the Garage Special in the early 20's, South Bend advertised these lathes for small repair shops and service stations for light repair work. The wide bed lathes progressed in improvements up until about the fall of 1938, when the 9 inch underdrive bed was recoded for the Heavy 10, that bed was UD100 and the new code was UB100. The next revision was 1942 when they increased the finish area ahe side of the rack and bolted the headstock directly to the bed, and the "10" South Bend" was cast into the bed, that was UB101.
9 inch lathes that some call the Heavy 9 were made into 1939, but most are T series, The only catalog number I have ever found that could be what we would call the Heavy 9, is a 8159 Toolroom 9 inch wide bed (9 inch, 1 inch collet lathe). It would have to have side oilers and have the S series superfinished spindle. In my South Bend catalog card files, this is the only number that is not marked as a T series, but, it is not listed as a S series either as the Heavy tens are.

Steve Wells

I picked up the exact same lathe from a neighbor. I thought, like you it was missing parts, but came to realize it was supposed to be that way. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and getting it set up. Have you found out any more info on the lathe?

20-XB South Bend

Wow ! I have been searching to purchase one of these 20-XB's for almost 5 years to add to my shop. I inappropriately called it a "stubby" lathe after seeing this one posted on line a few years back. I've been searching for its owner ever since or anyone who might own one they might sell.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Back