What's new
What's new

vintage south bend lathe

rmcallister

Plastic
new to the forum. new to machining.
found a 1936 south bend 15" x 6", motor over lathe.
no original documentation or specs.
sold in Connecticut October 1936. serial # 60,638. catalog # 888-C. have only found evidence of 1 other similar lathe. (15 inch throw seems very uncommon for 1936). bought every reference I can find on line. (nothing specific to that machine). looking for some direction/advice on other sources of info, level of difficulty finding parts for restoration, etc.
thanks
Mac

For good install and maintenance information, be sure to check out the docs H-1, H-2, H-3 and H-4. Shows how to oil, level, adjust head stock bearings, etc.. Must know information!

Have fun!
Ted

H4 is partially applicable as to adjusting spindle bearings on the Series O - which have none of the fancy 1946 stuff discussed. Cap bolts and heavy wall bronze bearings - hopefully with some shims left

For good install and maintenance information, be sure to check out the docs H-1, H-2, H-3 and H-4. Shows how to
oil, level, adjust head stock bearings, etc.. Must know information!

Have fun!
Ted

finally pulled the trigger on the 15"
I figure it will take a year to restore
It turns out to be a 1934 sold in 36

lathe 3.jpglathe 1.jpglathe 2.jpglathe 4.jpg

trying to figure out how to power my 1934 15 X 6 south bend lathe. It was initially powered by overhead shaft. I would need to find another cone pulley and power source...or. I have a 2 HP motor with Variable speed drive and 2 inch flat pulley for my 2 X 72 grinder. looks to me like that that set up might work. Does anyone have experience with that sort of thing?

You might try South bend lathes. I believe they have a card for every lathe they ever made and sold. $25 I think for a reprint of the card. Don’t know about parts availability. You probably will get some practice making parts.LOL

Just thought I would add to this. I have a 13X56 south bend that I am in need of a large dial cross feed bushing for. If anyone is aware of that part please let me know. Not sure how to set up the PM but i will try to keep track of the forum from here on out to. Thanks.

finally pulled the trigger on the 15"
I figure it will take a year to restore
It turns out to be a 1934 sold in 36

View attachment 298757View attachment 298756View attachment 298755View attachment 298758

Just check it out and make sure everything is okay, then run with it! Making it pretty, while nice, doesn't make it work any better (yeah, I get a bit jealous of the pretty ones though :D)

trying to figure out how to power my 1934 15 X 6 south bend lathe. It was initially powered by overhead shaft. I would need to find another cone pulley and power source...or. I have a 2 HP motor with Variable speed drive and 2 inch flat pulley for my 2 X 72 grinder. looks to me like that that set up might work. Does anyone have experience with that sort of thing?

My 11" is set up with a bench top type drive as you see in the (crummy) picture:

SBdrive01.JPG

The also made a few other drives, one with the motor over head, a floor mounted motor/pivot arm, and a wall mounted system. Just figure out which you'd like to go with and start collecting parts. FWIW, SBLatheman might be able to help.

-Ron

Back