What's new
What's new

Warner HS Insert Tooling

QuickChange

Aluminum
Hello all---Can someone give me a quick education on tool geometry desirable for the SB9? I have the Warner HS toolholders (3/8 inch size) and inserts, AXA wedge toolpost. While the inserts seem to cut well, I noticed that the TOP of the inserts are dead "flat" and can't help but think about the old "rocker" post and just how adjustable that post was for tool angle. So, I guess my question: is the cutting angle (rake??) on the Warner inserts already optimized for use on these small lathes? Any comments on the use of the Warner toolholders/HS inserts with the SB9 would be welcome. I'm NOT really having any trouble with them, the inserts seem to cut well and finishes are decent. I think a post or two from the "brethren" here on PM would set me straight about how desirable (or not) the Warner HS tooling IS.

Hard to answer.
The inserts sit in a normal carbide insert holder.
Rake is three planes, what you get is what both the tool and holder do.
HSS likes a tad more rake or clear on the side of the tool. Its a spring back thing and is more at low surface footage where HSS lives.
Here you talk about top and HSS will like lots of positive here so as to not weld chips at high speed steels lower surface footage. Hence the hook hand ground into most HSS tool bits.
High speed steel takes abuse and wrong use that carbide will not.

They have been doing this for a long time and have a loving customer base. That speaks a lot.
SB9 means light cutting pressures. A generic CVD coated carbide CNMA-432 will not work nice.

If flat tops hand grinding a hook in and sideways to make the point "proud" may help. This can be done on a bench grinder with a finer than normal grit.
You do not want a rough surface, the chip has to flow across the grind.
Is it easier to run down or across a plowed field? If you harrow or more?

HTRAL shows not to much as a search, Guess "How To Run A Lathe", Link to the real intent that explains it all?
Bob

We use the Warner inserts extensively in our shop for both general work and in the building of rifles. We use them on a 10L and a 10K. The advantage of the "dead flat" tops of the inserts is in sharpening them. Just remove them from the holder and place them upside down on an Arkansas stone with a drop of oil. Use your finger to move insert in a figure 8 pattern. It sharpens in a few seconds.
They are our go-to tooling.

BB--I do understand about the ease of sharpening these inserts, done it many times myself. What I was wondering about is the operating "angle" (top) of the tool/insert, and THAT angle is 90° to the work? There is NO top rake to the insert, unlike that sometimes seen on hand-ground HS blanks used with a "rocker" tool post. It also seems that some top rake of hand ground toolbits is deliberately introduced by the rocker toolpost itself when setting the cutting edge on center. I was just curious about that aspect of the Warner HS inserts/tooling. When set at the proper cutting height, these are 90° to the work PERIOD as far as I can determine.

Back