What's new
What's new

South Bend 13" Headstock spindle bearings

NOGO

Plastic
I have recently acquired a 13" South Bend Lathe. It has seen heavy use, and I would like to get tolerances to a minimum. Where can I procure "new" bearings?

Do you have bronze or cast iron bearings?
If bronze, have you tested and adjusted per SB's recommendations?
If cast iron, you don't get new bearings, they are integral with the headstock, you adjust by removing shims.

Current 'South Bend' is Grizzly, not much help for your lathe.

South Bend published parts lists for your lathe and to operate it they published 'How to Run a Lathe' (HTRAL). South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org will have most of these in pdf format.

For help in taking apart, put it back together, and what to look for see:

Rebuild Manual for South Bend Lathe 1L, 1R, 13, 14.5 & 16 9781482334586 | eBay

See the stickies in this forum for the best posts on cleaning up your old SB.

John

Do you have bronze or cast iron bearings?
If bronze, have you tested and adjusted per SB's recommendations?
If cast iron, you don't get new bearings, they are integral with the headstock, you adjust by removing shims.

I have the split bronze bearings. I'm afraid I damaged them taking the caps off. It's a 1984 lathe and has seen some rough days.

I have the split bronze bearings. I'm afraid I damaged them taking the caps off. It's a 1984 lathe and has seen some rough days.

Hello Nogo

I recently "cleaned up" a 1979 13" I believe yours will have the hardened ways so the heavy use didn't damage those significantly. When I disassembled mine for re-lube, repairs, and painting I bought the rebuild manual it was invaluable. I also watched a couple you tube channels of someone completely restoring a 13", very helpful!!

If you are looking for a hard to find part give "ted" latheman on this forum a shout. He will most likely have what you are looking for for your lathe.

I love my 13" now that I have everything working great.

Back