What's new
What's new

Westcott 3 Jaw Scroll Chuck with Independent Jaws

wheels17

Stainless
I work as a volunteer at a charity that manages a used tool store, with the profits to benefit a senior citizens program.

We had an unusual chuck donated to us that was made by the JH Westcott company. It's an odd mount, 2.25 x 6, apparently for the South Bend 14.5" lathe? It is a combination scroll and independent chuck. There's a 1/2" socket on the front of the chuck that runs the scroll, but each jaw has an independent adjustment as well, and are reversible. These have a square for a key that's about .305 across the flats.

It seems to be in basically good condition, although it does have a lot of "strikes", and is dusty from sitting around a wood shop. The jaws all move .002 or less normal to the face of the chuck and circumferentially.

Here's the front of the chuck:
attachment.php

and the back:
attachment.php

There is a lot of information on the chuck. First, the model and size:
attachment.php

Then, the manufacturer information:
attachment.php

It was apparently made in 1920. I don't think you'll have much luck contacting the manufacturer, but just in case:
attachment.php

It looks like the chuck may have originally been built for export:
attachment.php

A shot of the independent adjustment:
attachment.php

The jaw teeth for the scroll look fairly unworn:
attachment.php

Does anybody have any idea what this is worth? Is it something common or rare? I can't find a single reference to the chuck on the internet.
There's a 2012 thread on a Westcott 4 jaw that priced it at $60. ( https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...istory/westcott-chuck-antone-seen-one-248066/ ). There are a couple of catalogs known, one for sale on ebay and one in google books without images.

We'd like to move this out of the store. It's pretty heavy, but should fit in a large flat rate box. ($18.90). I can take any more measurements and pictures if anyone wants more information.

seems cool ..I'm now thinking a scroll with two independent jaws with .030 travel could act as a scroll for quick movement and the two movable would for fine adjusting.

No, I m not in a position to re-invent a chuck.

and a scroll chuck on an adjust true back likely would be better.

that's got tooling groupy written all over it just goes to show there's not a thing new under the sun

Back