What's new
What's new

What is CLC model?

cnclatheman

Plastic
Can anyone provide info on what CLCxxx model designation signifies? All references I have found only show a CLxxx model which is a threaded nose spindle. A very old thread I found somwhere had same question and one reply "thought" it may signify a Camlock spindle nose on a unit that was supposed to have a threaded nose.
A picture of index plate for this lathe can be seen in the Serial Numbers Wanted sticky on pg&e. 113 titled "Ser. Number 10407TKX14"

Many thanks for any info that can be provided.

CLC is a D1-4 Cam Loc spindle, CL0 is a D1-3 Cam Loc

Steve

Steve,

Many thanks for this information! Is the CLC being a D1-4 Cam Loc listed/shown in a catalog? I have downloaded several catalog PDF's from Vintage Machinery website but I don't recall seeing any listing for a CLC model (option?).

Thank you again for the info.

Steve

heck, I saw a CLO with an L00 spindle...so I "assumed" CLC was cam loc and CLO was L series.

good thing I don't get paid for this stuff.:)

Steve,
Are you sure about that ?
I have a CL 187 from the 80’s that is a D1-4
I had a threaded spindle 10L that was a CLC187
:confused::confused:
Ted

Pre-Configured orders probably yes, CLC was D1-4, CLO ("OH"?)was" D1-3, but later also a "0" zero was used as a filler number, like a blank space on the build sheet, the CL was in the first column and the zero was at the front on the Model in the next column.
like CL | 0187, not sure how these stamped on the plate? but, CLO was generally a D-3, CLK was an L series and I don't have info on the later CLT seen on some toolroom lathes.

Can you remember if you have a GN for the parts department that might list them?? I seen the stamps wrong too. (changed order??)

Steve

Steve

Pre-Configured orders probably yes, CLC was D1-4, CLO ("OH"?)was" D1-3, but later also a "0" zero was used as a filler number, like a blank space on the build sheet, the CL was in the first column and the zero was at the front on the Model in the next column.
like CL | 0187, not sure how these stamped on the plate? but, CLO was generally a D-3, CLK was an L series and I don't have info on the later CLT seen on some toolroom lathes.

Can you remember if you have a GN for the parts department that might list them?? I seen the stamps wrong too. (changed order??)

Steve

Steve

I do not have a General Notice reguarding the catalog numbers ☹️
Ted

Ted,
Without the GN I can't be sure of the date, but pertaining to the 10L, I believe sometime in 1976-77, the D1-4 became the standard spindle. The threaded spindle and the L00 were optional. In the later 4.5 ft only machines, there are not many stamped CLC (but some were), mainly CL it looks like, so you are correct that a CL probably could have a D1-4. The other one could have been threaded spindle optionally installed?
Looking through the "Profit maker" bulletins they don't show the D1-3 as an option, but I have to many recorded with CLO to not have been optional.

Steve

1977 10L Bulletin: http://www.wswells.com/download/1977_SB10.pdf

Back