What's new
What's new

What did i do wrong 10L?

I have my early 10L back together. and running nicely with one exception.

The mounting screw for the cover interferes with the oil tube on the reverser lever.

See photo. Did i get the tube in wrong?
101.jpg102.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Bob

yes, but it bends downward, so rotating it 180 is going to make my problem worse. or maybe it belongs above the screw? Although i don't remember the gits cap being upside down.

i have another reverser lever, but didn't use it because it won't fit into the hole bored in the headstock casting. I have a bunch of parts i was going to use to upgrade the headstock to a newer bronze bearing headstock, but my tailstock height works better with the original headstock, so i went back to everything as it was initially.

I do also wonder if there never was a cover mounting screw in the position by the reverser.

I should have learned from pinball restos - you can never take too many photos...

0d29c1ab460ae61a873f8522618dea70.jpg

Mine is a straight tube. I have not had it apart yet. My lathe is a 10L from mid 1970’s. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always left that bolt out of mine. I also put a little knob on the lower bolt that attaches to the swinging cover.

Easy access encourages proper oiling.

I would like to put a pull pin perhaps in place of the SHCS. I oil up the lathe every time I use it. It needs to be taken apart, thoroughly cleaned and felts replaced. I bought a felt kit and disassembly/assembly manual for it last year. Haven’t had time to dig into the tear down yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a 16", not a 10, but you can see the bolt in headstock bearing cap. And oiler tube free and clear:

138.jpg

You need the tube, not the screw. If it were me, I'd fill the old hole in cover with body filler. Drill a new hole north of there, maybe in the bearing cap, but somewhere that proves stable and clear of that tube.

Thanks all for the photos. May be i have the wrong reverser in there...

I have one with a straight tube also. I'll follow up when i have a solution.

Thanks Again,
Bob

Jim,
You were 100% correct. Just needed to turn 180. The threaded portion of the tube is not inline with the tube.103.jpg

Thanks to all for your help.

Attachments

• 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 75
Jim,
You were 100% correct. Just needed to turn 180. The threaded portion of the tube is not inline with the tube.View attachment 333668

Thanks to all for your help.

I guess better late than never?
This is from my mid 1940s 10L, I suspect some parts were not original because I needed to do some machining to get the covers to fit

Attachments

• KIMG1018 (Small).JPG
    KIMG1018 (Small).JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 57
  • KIMG1019 (Small).JPG
    KIMG1019 (Small).JPG
    80 KB · Views: 50
Thanks,

Yeah now i'm having the cover rub against the threaded collar.

I have some new mounting screws on order, otherwise i'm doing some "porting" with the dremel...

at least it's easy to see where it rubs on the new paint.

My early 40s 10R has straight oiler.
BTW> Replace the 1/4 screws with threaded rod and then add big nuts. The screws are a PITA to get lined up when you remove the cover, while the threaded rod pops throught the holes. An often oiling overlook is not removing the cover and oiling the tumblers through their small oil holes. This IMO oprinion was due to effort required to remove/replace the cover.

Back