What's new
What's new

What did I just buy? 9" Model A?

Jazzmonger

Plastic
I've always wanted a lathe and just came across this cabinet model for $400 and its now in my shop. Holy cow its heavy, it took 4 big guys to move it. I've searched this site and more for more info on the model number to no avail, but did find some pics of a 1959 that look pretty close. The motor needs some wiring work and one tooth is broken, but most of it is intact. It has a 4 jaw and quick change that came with it.

I think I see this in the name plate (its unfortunate your admins limit pic sizes to 19K...):
9 Inch Model A
Catalog # 8447N ( or possibly 3447N, hard to read)
Bed Length 3 1/2
High res pic of name plate:
iCloud

Any help identifying what year it is, a user manual, parts list, etc would be helpful. While I appreciate the total restorations I've drooled over on this site, I just want to get this one functioning reliably. I have a 1921 Model T, and some parts for restoring this car are just not available, hence my need!

Jeff
Hi res:
iCloud
iCloud
broken tooth iCloud

DD1A2F5D-F818-49D2-99C0-1E4961C2A398.jpg2BABBC4D-F387-44C0-92F0-5A09830A1070.jpgD36D0B2A-2745-47FD-975C-87D187738E2E.jpg34F6199F-464F-4151-853C-8E983D0060B1.jpg

Year?
We need the serial # stamped in the bed, top right.
Manual?
HTRAL (how to run a lathe) by SB - Mr Noder usually pops in with a link to
a digital copy. I think I've see it a couple times in the last month. Search HTRAL
Get it opperational?
At the least I would re-felt it with a kit from illion. $ well spent and for $400
you made out like a bandit.
lsneon

Ok, I finally found it under a film of dust and oil.

JAN

On the other bed it says UB 101.

Ok, so it's a 1943 according to the sn db. I found the doc you referred to
https://www.pdf-archive.com/2017/02/21/how-to-run-a-lathe-1966/how-to-run-a-lathe-1966.pdf

I found a rebuild kit on eBay, just not sure if it's the right one for mine although it looks universal...

South Bend Lathe 9" Model A - Rebuild Parts Kit | eBay

Also is there now a limit on picture size for newbies? I see others posting high quality pics but I can't seem to...

Jeff

The 146 would have caused me to guess mid 45. I have a 167 and the SB card says Dec 45. The JAN stands for Joint Army Navy.
While you're shopping, someone sells a 4 pt kit of all the correct oils.
I make it a policy to lube the spindle every time I turn it on and everywhere else on a pretty regular basis. Be safe
lsneon

It's a 344-ZN 9" Model A with underneath motor drive.

From the 1943 catalog.

Nice. Ok, good news - after spending all day in my shop, I replaced all the wiring, lubed everything, tore apart the apron and cleaned it, and it all works. Forwards and backwards.

My vocabulary isn’t there yet but the threaded twist bar that is perpendicular to the bed that adjusts that part of the platform throw needs to be replaced. Someone messed up the threads and bolt at the end. It works for now, but I’ll want to replace that at some point.

It desperately needs new belts. Both of them. Is there a good source for these?

I ordered a couple of the recommended books from Amazon as well. This is exciting!

Jeff

5B8D0487-CACE-4F1A-9E5B-980DD534F2E6.jpg

I wish I understood your question so I could intelligently answer it. If you can explain a bit more that would help. This is my first lathe. Pictures are worth a thousand words... the arrow points at the part I need to replace. It's about a foot long, threaded.

jeff

Jazz... what we need to do, is find a PM member who's near enough to you to pay a visit, look it over close, and point out all the details, so you know what you're looking at, and what all the functions are, then help you set it up for some basic tool positioning and cutting operations.

Where in Californica are you??

Cross-feed dial is not original. Looks like a Clausing, perhaps but picture is too small to tell.
There is no compound slide...don't know what's on top...looks like a flat plate with gib screws to me for some unknown purpose.

Can you take a few pics of the "saddle"- just like the name, that's the main part on the bed that cranks from end to end with the large handwheel on front.

The compound slide looks like it has a plate for mounting a (SB?) milling attachment. I use an automotive serpentine A.C. belt inside out for the primary motor drive belt, and a el-cheapo harbor fright link type V -belt to get around the spindle pulleys without disassembling the headstock.

I also have my 9A mounted on an ex high school light 10 model cabinet. May still have the under cabinet drive inside. Not sure if I removed it or not. The 9A was a tool room bench top 36" model with an exposed rear mounted drive. Any 10" drive parts are up for grabs. Ill take a look tomorrow if anyone is interested. EMAIL me directly as I dont get over here too often. Bill at [email protected]

You may have already realized this, the adapted cross-feed dial is diameter read- and the "small dial" factory compound is direct read. Not sure I'd want a mix of both on one machine, but that's me...

I would check to be sure the large dial doesn't interfere with compound operation when it's perpendicular to the bed, or even at the common 29 degree threading angle, over full length of travel. Looks to me like it may not clear the cross slide dial.

I got a new belt installed and just rebuilt the apron. Huge improvement. Power crossfeed? I had no idea! The gearbox rebuild will happen is weekend. Tubalcain’s videos are amazing. Highly recommended.

Jeff

Back