What's new
What's new

What do I have here? SB9 4 1/2 Engine Lathe

PhillyPhan

Plastic
A neighbor of my niece was looking to get rid of an old lathe in his shed. Had not been used in 10+ years and he had no idea what it was. I am in the market for a wood lathe and said I would take it. I went to pick it up and realized that this is much bigger than what I can use. After some limited research, I believe I have a South Bend 9" lathe manufactured somewhere around 1936. (Serial #69369) I have uploaded a few pics of what I brought home. I would love to sell this to someone who will use it to its full potential. What do I have here? Any idea of what it is worth in this condition? (I am in the Philly, PA area.) Is there a good specialized site to sell it on - something other than Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace?
20210622_200008.jpg20210622_200001.jpg20210626_145144.jpg20210622_200030.jpg20210622_200820.jpg

Looks like an old 9" Workshop Model C. That milling attachment is worth quite a bit. Craigslist is where I go to buy and sell stuff like this. I refuse to provide anything to Facebook, so I don't either buy or sell on it.

I know some here think it is sacrilege, but had you considered just using the lathe for wood turning by adding a rest? Not ideal to be sure but would get you going until an old delta or powermatic came along. Jim

@jmm03 - good idea except this thing is too big and heavy for my smaller-sized shop. I need to downsize or pretty much have this as my only tool! (Not quite, but you get my point...)

I am not as experienced as many on this forum are, but I do have a 9 inch SB model C and I live in the Philadelphia suburbs.

The change gears consist of about 12 to 15 gears from about 1-1/2 inch to about 7 inch diameter. I think a set sells for about $200 to 250 on ebay. They are worth looking for if you don't have them. Wrenches, the lantern tool post holder, tool holders, any additional chucks, and other parts, such as a steady rest are worth looking for.

I suggest resisting the urge to turn on the lathe until it is well lubricated. Regarding that, you cannot assume it will be well lubricated until it is taken apart, cleaned, and wicks are replaced. You can purchase a good manual with rebuilding procedures, parts like wicks, and the recommended lubricants. The sources for that have been discussed in many forum posts. If you are not into doing this, it may be best to sell it as is and use the money to buy a wood lathe.

I think selling the lathe and all accessories as a package is generally best, but not necessarily true regarding the milling attachment. That is not a typical lathe accessory and they are relatively expensive. This is a lathe that appeals to beginners and selling the milling attachment with the lathe may push the price above what many people want to pay.
This is just my two cents. Others may not agree. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Great advice, MJR6550. I appreciate the detailed insight from someone who has one of these lathes. I agree that it is a bigger project that I want to undertake and I do plan to sell it to someone who has the knowledge to handle it. Since you are local in Lansdale, I am wondering if you know of any local websites or places to try to sell it. I am still working to see what other parts might be laying around, but would like to list it soon. Craigslist is a good fallback, but was hoping for a more specialized local site that would be viewed by a more targeted group.

The milling attachment shown in the photos is for an atlas lathe. If it has not been adapted to the SBL you may need to make an adaptor plate in order to use it.

Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. I hate Facebook, but do prefer FM to Craigslist. I don't know of any other local group or way to sell this. Ebay is another option if you list it as local pickup. Some people will drive a couple handred miles if they want something like this because, while not rare, if you want one now there are not many around in any given area.

PM and Vintage Machinery websites have sections for selling machinery. Home Machinist may also.

The problem with FB, is that you have to create an account if you want to answer the ads. This prevents people like me from ever being able to buy from you. Craigslist is open to everyone. I would avoid ebay for large things like this, because of their "cut" of your transaction.

The problem with FB, is that you have to create an account if you want to answer the ads. This prevents people like me from ever being able to buy from you. Craigslist is open to everyone. I would avoid ebay for large things like this, because of their "cut" of your transaction.

No, the problem with FB is that it is full of left-wing loonies.:D

I believe that is an Atlas milling attachment.

now you did it . the name that can not be uttered . yes i think you are right and the cool thing is the p/n is right there .so Philly do your home work and have a nice payday . yes the machine is nice and someone out there would love to have it in there shop . but its the goody's that go with it. that's were the money is . for every 50 lathes there only one milling attachment . so do your home work . like a used machinery sales man told me one time you can start off with a pencil and need up with a house just keep selling or trading up .

i have had good luck with CL sold lots of machines on there but there are a lot of flakes but that's just for the most part on the smaller things the last machine i sold on the was one of them lathes we can't take about on here a 6" one that i payed $200 for and got $900 for it and all i did to it was give it a good cleaning and put it on a table and i did put two new bearing in it but all that cost was the time .so Philly don't sell yourself short find an old bench that fits that lathe or make it fit so its a turn key set up put some oil in it and power it up and make some money to buy something you want

001.jpg002.jpg023.jpg001.jpg

Back