What's new
What's new

Dating lathe

alwyslate2

Plastic
This belongs to my father in law and I am trying to date it!! Any help would be appreciated!!
0e35dbfe1f4310f936ff85ccccce2a1a.jpg
c2bf3ccdb027c4a53e000ce32f789f08.jpg
57371e489040eac1f41ad547e5375447.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serial number right end on top in between two front ways is the thing to look at and post.

War Production Board tag strongly suggests early 1940s - if I recall correctly, the WPB went into business in 1942

At the tail end of the bed , right hand end if you at looking at it. There should be a number stamped on top of the bed between the vee way and flat. Provide us with that number and one of us can date it for you. As is from the pictures, it could have been born anywhere from 1938 to 1968 and many thousands of them were made. You have one less popular ones with a 4-1/2 foot beds. Would love to have it! Ken

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The only thing I really know about it is his great uncles owned a shop in I believe Arkansas. He bought it on their auction in the 70’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw that one coming...:D

He failed to mention that if one dates machine-tools, it is all too easy to end up married to them!

Further, unlike the Middle-East, (creel limit 4 in-hand, catch and released don't count...) there is no legal upper-bound on how MANY machine-tools one may be married to, simultaneously.

This may or may not be a "good thing", but at least one is not required to keep each of them in separate quarters and bestow the exact same value of gifts and treasure on each.

Best to not even TRY to compare Divorce arrangements, OTOH.....

To the OP:

Small, light, lathes with long beds are generally desirable goods.

All you need is the model and spindle-bearing type (Iron or bronze) - so actual age matters little. Decent condition is "nice", but SB's are rather cheaply and easily restored.

Back