What do you do with a lathe now - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

I started 1965 building small tesla coil and electronics parts then R/C engines
    parts. Still working with the lathe and machining as hobby.
    I have look into MFG. the following list buy date very few ever made past the drawing board

1. R/C engines and part late 60's
    2. Jewelry stone grinders MFG in 1972 sold this low money
    3. Aircraft hangar doors from 1972 till 2004 sold very slow sale after 9/11
    4. Solar steam power 1974 drawing only did not think any would buy it.
    5. Picup racks built very few just for my truck with lovers about 1980 or 1981 no what it, today see ever where.
    6. 1986 Locking mail boxes did think any would buy them today homedepot sells them.
    7. Solar steam 2007 made all drawings ready to make prototype the economy when down.
    8. Today I am working on low cost EDM this one I made prototype working on finish drawing to start MFG.

I did not list ever think
    Dave
    Last edited by gunsmithing1; 01-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmithing1 View Post
    I did not list ever think I will some thing I done later.
    Huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Type O
    I was on telphone
    Quote Originally Posted by bradjacob View Post
    Huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bradjacob View Post
    What do you do with your lathe now?

Nobody mentioned, walking by it and turning a hand wheel or feeling the finish or maybe just staring at it
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex TX View Post
    +1. I have a working lathe and 3 fondling lathes.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    Or the fond, tearful glance over the shoulder from a far corner of the shop, on those awful days when we can't be together!
    O the excruciatingness!

Those cruel of heart call us 'crazy'!

It feels SO good to talk about this and to know that you all understand!

...fellers?
    Ya know... If someone stumbled in here by accident and read this stuff they'd be ah think'n that this is a very strange place.

I confess I talk to them.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CDRIVE View Post
    Ya know... If someone stumbled in here by accident and read this stuff they'd be ah think'n that this is a very strange place.

I confess I talk to them.
    Chris
    That is perfectly normal

Let us know when you start hearing them talk back!

Shaggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Nelson View Post
    Your PS pretty much describes me. I have a Wisconsin license plate, so I'm easily identifiable from the natives. What frightens me most is the Florida Audis and BMWs that come up close in my rear view mirror at 30 mph over the speed limit with their headlights that have LED accent lighting around them that makes them look like viscious and pissed off dogs.
    I'm sure these cars have an effect on their owners, only those with the strongest willpower can avoid turning into roadhogs in them.

Apart from the LEDs the brightness of the dipped headlights on these makes them a nightmare - I guess with your migratary habits you get to avoid doing too much night driving but here in Scotland where we only have about 6 hours of daylight in the winter and German cars are common I think they are genuinely hazardous.
    They dazzle you as they come up behind so you have to move your head to avoid catching them in any of the mirrors, and then when they go past you have a couple of seconds where you just can't see anything at all - don't even think about pulling out smartly behind one to make your own overtake manoeuvre, there can be 10 more cars in that lane that you couldn't see past their headlights.... If they are all Beamers and Audis you'd struggle to get a feeler gauge between the bumpers even when they are doing over 70mph.

Crikey, listen to me - I'm not even 40 and moaning like an old yin!

I know some Brits are cynical about the American institution that is cruise control, but I love it! Hit the motorway, get up to 70, engage cruise control and don't worry about tickets, similarly in town I'll set it at 30 to avoid getting drawn along by the idiots that insist on driving 40.

Getting back on topic, my lathe has made tools for the car, and pins for trim and a seat retaining pin. Also a collar for the gear stick where it had worn at the ball and wasn't engaging 1st properly.

Wisconsin (from May to November); Florida (from November to May)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My lathes exist solely for themselves.

Lord Byron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Several folks have mentioned their affection for their lathes.... But no one has mention naming their lathe.... So Ill start I have a Clausing 5914 named Irma... she is a sturdy girl.
    In evenings, on weekends or any other time I can sneak away to be with her she and I make parts for other machines. There is nothing like the focus involved in a well made part or the pride in fixing a broken tool.

Want a healthy dose of self worth? Make a dirty, rusty, crashed and trashed lathe like object work again. I get the same feeling with knee mills and the occasional drill press...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I make my living and support my family on lathes every day. Work in a papermill and run all manual equipment. Lathes Mills etc. Most of the time its just one off replacement parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I call my lathe "Gold Digger". I think you know why.

Ed S

All lathes turn gold into cast iron....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being that my lathe is still waiting on electricity, all I do, is fondle mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What do you do with a lathe now

I used mine last night to make a new spindle for a fancy stainless toilet roll holder!

13. Likes KB3AHE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just got my lathe in April, spent about 6 months tearing it apart and putting it together. Now I'm making 1:13.7 train parts like the axles and wheels here and building up my skill sets and will also be making some parts for my 9A that I need. I just made a follower rest, btw for it. I just need to attach the 2 fingers. It clears the tailstock quill, nothing fancy. The drill bit was just emplaced to get an idea of the finger positioning.

I sometimes watch those chopper build shows on TV. Last week, they showed Jesse James' workshop and there was a big lathe of some sort there, but I never saw it being used. I know most are probably using CNC or fancy laser or water jet machines instead, as they probably get a lot of money from their TV shows and can afford that stuff.

Even if I had the money, however, I'd stick to my 9A, as I like old school stuffdav_0863.jpgdav_0869.jpg
    Last edited by SE18; 12-24-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: clarify

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use my 10K & Clausing Mill to teach my sons about machining. I am teaching them to build, repair, create and to think outside the box. This is such a throw away society we live in. It's fun to see someone respond when they see something that was made or repaired. "Where did you find that? I have never seen anything like that at Walmart" To me, the profit gained by teaching my children is priceless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bought a chinese 3 in 1 mill,drill,lathe about 5 years ago. Bought it to make small parts for my hobby. I used that machine to make parts for the actual hobby I bought it for and that was about it.

......Then I sold that machine and stumbled across a South Bend lathe. Now it seems that I find every excuse I can to make anything! What it looks like now is mainly making parts for other machines and accessories for my current South Bend 9A. But I love spending hours making the odd bushing for a toy for one of my kids. Or a knob for a Noga magnetic stand that needs not a new knob but could USE a better knob!!

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OldMachinist View Post
    I use my lathe and other machine tools nearly everyday to make or repair parts for myself or others. I rarely charge anyone for the work I do but do exchange work for whatever they have to barter with(food, tools, equipment and auto body work).

Hope your stockings are filled with HSS bits and have a safe/happy holiday.
    Don
    I do some hobby, some repair, and some paying jobs. All of my machine tools, and amateur radio gear have been paid for by the procedes from doing work for others. After surviving some really bad financial times 25 years ago and just escaped being homeless by the skin of my proverbial teeth, we have a rule under our roof that our hobby stuff does not get paid for out of the "general fund", so for me they have to produce enough income to at least pay for themselves. I have long since gotten back on my financial feet, but still practice the "self sufficient hobbies" rule.

I love doing "repair" machine work and reconstructive welding. For not being out there pushing it, enough people have found me to make it somewhat profitable, and I am relying on it to become a "retirement business" in a few years. It is fun and financially rewarding as well, especially when you get those jobs where you have to scratch your head and think outside the box! And best of all, it gets me away from the "war dept" for a few hours!!

Now............... I quite often have guys stumbling in in the evening with those "I desperately need this tommorow" jobs. I'll fire off a pot of coffee and head out into the shop and do it for them. In order to expedite the job, most of my regular customers know what type of food items to have in hand to expedite my ass away from the Couch and TV..............................

A rack of ribs or a dozen steamed crabs can go a long way, and may influence the final job pricing as well.

A very Merry Christmas to all of you out there! ! ! !

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Model engines

My 9 will be used for small parts....heres the working gear type oil pump for a small inline twin

and the timing and oil pump drive gears

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It occurs to me that most of the people who have posted answers on this thread are pretty much alike. I have wanted a lathe since I was about 9 years old. I did not know what a lathe was, but I knew that it would be great to have that capability. As a young man, I worked in a textile plant machine shop and learned to run a lathe, but I recognized that I didn't have the money, space, or time to own a lathe. Fast forward through college, two wars, two kids, two wives, one truck, and several jobs. I was at an auction. There was a 14" Lodge & Shipley on the docket that looked somewhat sad. I talked to an old guy who said that he ran it for years, and it was a good machine. Suddenly, it occurred to me that I had the money, the space, the time, and the need for a lathe. I outbid the only other bidder, and took it home the following week. It is now the cornerstone of my basement shop, which includes a SB9, a Van Norman #12, and a #16, a surface grinder, several drill presses, stick and TIG welders, and a recip Racine saw. I don't bill any work out of the shop, but I am the go-to guy for all my friends who have a need. I don't buy anything that I can build. I have found that I was right as a child, I did need a lathe. They say that a pig is happy in mud. Just put me in the shop. Regards, Clark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For one, I refinish and turn new transmission parts to hold up behind high horse power Cummins diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsomlo View Post
    People ask me that all the time. Thruth is, many of the things I make are for the lathe itself, which of course baffles people.

But if somebody spends 50 million dollars on a Renoir, nobody says "what are you gonna do with it?". In fact, it just sits on the wall and does nothing; you look at it. Art is a very subjective thing. And even if I don't make anything, I can just go in the shop and look at my lathe, which always gives me great pleasure, as I'm sure it does many of you.

Paul
    Sorry, but Renoir was French and has no place on the wall behind my American iron! However there are some fine period American artists, as well as prints of the factories, the machines they made, and the people that made them, that do! You all got me thinking about turning some frames!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use my machines to make parts for low-power horizontally-opposed engines!