Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a beginner getting started, but a recent project had me wanting more precise control over depth of drilling. So, here's my take on the tailstock DRO. Really just a sampling of ideas from different youtube videos on the same subject.

What I like bout this one is it required no modification to the tailstock itself, just temp removal of the lock down lever. The igaging tool was sourced from ebay. I glued a neo magnet to the bottom which sticks on to the tailstock lock down hole. I liked the igaging due to the round end which sticks nicely to the neo magnet, which is recessed in to the aluminum clamp. No drilling of the hardened steel calipers, or bolting together of the works. Easy tool free set up and take down. I made the aluminum clamp, the knurled nut was sourced from extra snug parts.

Oh, and I made that oiler doo-flickey to fill that hole in the tailstock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4392.jpg   img_4393.jpg   img_4391.jpg  
    Last edited by scooternut; 08-01-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Adding pics

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of months ago, I picked up a 1940 model B that had already been fitted with a gear box, seeing the possibility of the upgrade to the 10K reverse tumblers, this is one mod that would make it just a little more user friendly. all in all it was pretty simple to do, just a little time with out a mill, to help out with the shape. the one thing i would recommend is purchasing an 3/8" transfer screw, to line up the existing bolt hole.
    decided to make this out of a piece of brass that was salvaged out of a pop off valve. made the first template out of aluminum, just to see how close I could get the radius cut with the tools I have on hand, before I tried it out on the brass.
    for attaching the backing plate to the shaft, i used a external C-clip. to me it looked the cleanest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-template.jpg   1-turning-down-template.jpg   2-transfer-screw.jpg   3-drilling-push-pin-holes-.jpg   4-just-little-polish-.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alaska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just a couple more pictures of the mod
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5-cutting-groove-.jpg   6-assembled-ready-install.jpg   7-finished-side-view.jpg   7finished-front-view-.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made a new cross-slide screw for my heavy 10. It's up-sized from 7/16" to 1/2" diameter because that allowed me to drill out the original nut and re-cut the thread. I also extended the shaft to allow for a big dial conversion that doesn't lose cross-slide travel at the front.
    It didn't come out perfect, I missed my mark on the threading dial one time and topped the first few threads so I'll probably make it again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sbscrew1.jpg   sbscrew2.jpg  

5. Likes gjkozy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made a big dial for the heavy 10 cross slide to complement the new screw. It's 60mm diameter and marked with 200 graduations to make it diameter-reading. I have to stamp the numbers on it tomorrow, then waiting on thrust bearings before I can fit the handle and finish the whole assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sbheavy10bigdial.jpg   sbheavy10dialcompare.jpg  

7. Likes Bart.Howard, gjkozy, swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 2 South Bend 9" lathes. I have a threading dial for one of them but not for the other, not paying $150 for a used one. I tried the 3d printed one on Thingiverse but it looked cheesy when printed and I didn't like the plastic dial and plastic gear. So my son in law and I measured the original and made a 3D model that was close enough to use the factory sized parts. I had a spare gear from years ago and made a spare shaft and dial with the ball oiler. Right now it is a metal shaft on plastic, I may install some bushings in the plastic later on.
    These pictures were when I was trying it out. I have since sanded and primed it. Will need to paint it tomorrow and reassemble.

printed-thread-dial-1.jpg

printed-thread-dial-2.jpg

9. Likes 10KPete, gjkozy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a picture of it finished sanded with paint. It works great and outside of being lighter, no one would ever know that it wasn't metal from just a glance.
    thread-dial-1.jpg

11. Likes 10KPete, gjkozy, clay27bsouthbend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As you well know, there isn't much load on the dial housing unless something fouls. With bronze bushings that one is as good as an original and will give an excellent service life.

And waayyyy cheaper!

Well Done!!

Pete

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atwatterkent View Post
    Quicky job for convenience. Where to set your chuck key when the chip tray is full and you don't anywhere to mount a piston conecting rod. Tray is 10ga. 8 1/5 x 9 1/2 and fits front or back. Had an extra gear cover bracket sitting around.

Much needed accessory! Great idea!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Made this lamp bracket for my 10K, the goose neck lamp came off my grinder...bulb never lasted more than a few seconds. An after thought was adding a small shelf to put my oil pot on and a good flat spot for a magnetic base.

In the picture of it hanging with fresh paint, you can see all the bends. 1/4" flat was used.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When the lathe was purchased, it came with a Craftsman milling attachment, since this is a 10K, it needed to be raised. It has a riser block with the 1 3/8" circular South Bend dovetail and a 1 1/4" for the craftsman attachment.

I did end up with a great deal on a South Bend milling attachment with a offset riser, but the dovetail was setup for a heavy 10, so another dovetail was cut for that one too.

This my first "serious" lathe project.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gjkozy View Post
    Much needed accessory! Great idea!

Did you make the way mount?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Making a Thread Cutting Stop.

Not totally necessary with a 9A, but making the process a little easier, I saved a little money and made one for no cost and it matches the color perfectly.
    20190622_182133_2.jpg
    Last edited by JimBuchanan; 06-23-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rolling Base and Tool Board

I am very space challenged in my garage. I made a rolling base from 1/4 wall 2x4 and 2x2 square tube steel, and a tool board.

sb-lathe-side-view-2.jpgsb-lathe-rolling-stand-3.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw a youtube video where a hand crank on the lathe was used to help control cutting fine threads. I thought this was a great idea for a project and gave it a try. The handle was cold blued and the brights where nickle plated.

20190818_165731.jpg

20190818_165538.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190818_165735.jpg   20190818_165444.jpg