What's new
What's new

What nose attachment is this on a South Bend 13

paintballnsk

Aluminum
Hey,

I'm looking at buying this lathe. Would you please help me identify what nose mount this is? I think it's D1-4?

This will be my first lathe, so sorry this is a stupid question. The serial number doesn't have the tags on it that would give this away. I think it only says 15###T.

It doesn't come with a collet attachment, so I'm shopping around for one and I want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing. I want to make sure I can put a 5C attachment on it.

Thanks,
Nick
15503041_10202704476931080_1610461616_o.jpg

There is no "heavy 13" except with the new "Grizzly" South Bends and those are completely different..

There were two spindle sizes offered however, one smaller with a threaded nose that takes 2a collets and OP's with the camlock spindle that accepts 5c collets.

There were two spindle sizes offered however, one smaller with a threaded nose that takes 2a collets and OP's with the camlock spindle that accepts 5c collets.

I think perhaps you're confusing the Heavy 10, which came with two spindle bores, and the 13 which came with only one bore size AFAIK.

The 10R was the "regular" small bore, and the 10L was the "large" bore.

There was a small bore 13"- but only with the threaded spindle machines.

but nothing designates one over the other as "heavy"...personally I hate the "heavy" thing as it causes much confusion.

it being a D spindle however automatically means it has large bore - 1.375"

Based on some of my South Bend literature the type D1-4" spindle nose became standard on the South Bend heavy 10, 13 and 16 inch lathes sometime between 1972 and 1977. At that point the threaded spindle nose as well as the L-00 long taper spindle nose became available as options. A 1952 South Bend catalogue shows that back then the D1-4" and the L-00 spindle noses were available options on the heavy 10, 13, 14 1/2 and 16 inch lathes with "1 inch collet capacity".

I have a recollection that SBLatheman once said that the D1-3" spindle nose was available on the heavy 10. According to the ANSI standard, this would be the "proper" size for that lathe rather than the D1-4".
David

My SB 13 has a D1-4 spindle . Double tumbler 1953 .
The large diameter on the nose is 4-5/8" .
The pins are 5/8 " , so the holes in the nose to accommodate them are a bit larger , something like .650" .

I think perhaps you're confusing the Heavy 10, which came with two spindle bores, and the 13 which came with only one bore size AFAIK.

The 10R was the "regular" small bore, and the 10L was the "large" bore.
Hello again (we've chatted on instagram about your 16" rebuild)

My small spindle 13 hardly fits 1" through the spindle. Maybe someone can chime in about spindle bore on a cam lock 13", I'm fairly sure it's bigger since a 5c collet requires a larger drawbar than the 2a variant 13's.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Based on some of my South Bend literature the type D1-4" spindle nose became standard on the South Bend heavy 10, 13 and 16 inch lathes sometime between 1972 and 1977. At that point the threaded spindle nose as well as the L-00 long taper spindle nose became available as options. A 1952 South Bend catalogue shows that back then the D1-4" and the L-00 spindle noses were available options on the heavy 10, 13, 14 1/2 and 16 inch lathes with "1 inch collet capacity".

I have a recollection that SBLatheman once said that the D1-3" spindle nose was available on the heavy 10. According to the ANSI standard, this would be the "proper" size for that lathe rather than the D1-4".
David
The 10", 13", 14 1/2" and the 16" were available with the D1-3 spindle at one time. The D1-3 was eliminated when they started using the D1-4.
Hello again (we've chatted on instagram about your 16" rebuild)

My small spindle 13 hardly fits 1" through the spindle. Maybe someone can chime in about spindle bore on a cam lock 13", I'm fairly sure it's bigger since a 5c collet requires a larger drawbar than the 2a variant 13's.

The older 13" had the small hole and 1 7/8-8 threaded nose(just like the 10"). When they went to the large hole the thread was 2 1/4-8
Ted

The 10", 13", 14 1/2" and the 16" were available with the D1-3 spindle at one time. The D1-3 was eliminated when they started using the D1-4.

The older 13" had the small hole and 1 7/8-8 threaded nose(just like the 10"). When they went to the large hole the thread was 2 1/4-8
Ted
Hmm, I'll have to measure! Not sure it it's 2.25 or 1.875....

This lathe is new enough to have the lever clutch. I think based on another serial number I found it's about 1944 or 1945.

From Steve Wells’ Old serial number list it looks like 15XXXT would be 1976 -> 1978 vintage. Most likely a D1-4 spindle nose.

Where in NY are you?

I have a 13" ~~1984 vintage ...would be happy to look at your prospective buy with you.

From Steve Wells’ Old serial number list it looks like 15XXXT would be 1976 -> 1978 vintage. Most likely a D1-4 spindle nose.

Where in NY are you?

I have a 13" ~~1984 vintage ...would be happy to look at your prospective buy with you.

That would be great if you're interested. I don't want to give away where it is because I don't want someone else to snake it haha. I'll send you a PM.

I've seen 16xxxT's that the seller stated it was 1945. So that's what I was basing my guess on. I think I saw 50's publications that have the lever clutch.

It also has modern(ish) looking relays in the electronics and has the 2 speed control. So 1970's would make more sense because those relays don't look like they could be from the 40s. I didn't even know they were still making these in the 80's. I thought the serial numbers moved to a system that had 3 letters in them, and this doesn't.

That is undoubtedly a mid '70s or later model, frankly I am very surprised it hasn't been sold yet.

It meets all your stated criteria, I do not know why you have not secured a deal yet.

I suspect the only reason it's still there is it is the holiday season.

Better grab it while you can.

That is undoubtedly a mid '70s or later model, frankly I am very surprised it hasn't been sold yet.

It meets all your stated criteria, I do not know why you have not secured a deal yet.

I suspect the only reason it's still there is it is the holiday season.

Better grab it while you can.

It had electrical issues. The relay system in the back is very complicated and something was fubar in it that wouldn't turn the lathe onto high speed. He called the me morning I was to check it out and he warned me, but I told him I was still interested and still drove 2 hours to go check it out.

He's getting it fixed now. The seller has been very accommodating to all my novice questions and we geeked out on some knife making stuff. So he's a really good guy and I plan on moving forward with the buy.

It comes with a 3jaw, 4jaw, and taper attachment, but very little else. It's the 4 foot bed (28 between centers).

What would you think a reasonable price for it would be? I'd say 90% of the original paint is still on it. The ways look fine. The step pulley is pretty rusty, but seems fine. I didn't go through the gears yet, but I'm assuming they're all fine too. I'll definitely pull the covers off and check around before I buy it.

He also doesn't have the 48 tooth banjo that should go with it.

I've seen these ebay under $1000. There's a few on there asking $3k+, but they'll never sell for that.

This is a 1976-> 1978 Tool Room Lathe in very nice, unmolested condition.

Don't worry about relays, go VFD...

As has been said... go buy this!

Last edited:

Back