What's new
What's new

What size bolts are used for mounting the gearbox to the bed?

CVRIV

Aluminum
Im almost done restoring my lathe. Pics soon to come. When i first disamantled the lathe I noticed that there was a socket cap bolt being used to mount the gearbox, which indicated to me that one of the original bolts was missing. Id like to just replace all three bolts with matching bolts so it atleast looks like it makes sense, aka theyre all matching. What size bolts are those?

Heres a teaser pic:0331211909.jpg

They are 5/16 - 18 x 1".

The socket heads are much easier to tighten and loosen than original style.
I save the originals and use the socket heads.
McMaster has them in low-profile heads if that matters.
I can send you a few in the mail if you send me a PM.
(Counting the two at the tailstock end, you'll need 5)

PMc

Socket head screws are very strong. I have used them on machine tools and even pexto stuff.The best thing I ever did with them was to replace the screws in the oil holes of my south bend lathes. The fiddly slot head screws were a true P.I.T.A.Now its a pleasure.

Hey thanks. Its Ok. Ill just order them. Mcmaster is quick to ship to me because they have a warehouse near by. Thanks.

Wanted to mention that I do like your bench...did you make that?
In particular, the stainless steel skin on the top. I guess you must own a brake?

I just ordered 250 bucks of Red Oak 4x4's and 2x4's to begin my bench, and that
doesn't include the top. I'm still trying to decide what to use for the top.

What are those black fasteners by the way? I can't tell by the photo.
On second thought, that bench looks like a kit of some sort, but still nice.

PMc

View attachment 318135 View attachment 318107 View attachment 318108

Last edited:
I didnt design this bench. I started designing my own, and during the process i found this woman on facebook market selling the bench kit by a company Holumber which is no longer in business. The kit was brand new in the box for 125 i think i paid? I scrap my design to save some time. This bench is similar to something id design so it fits well with everything else ive got going on here.

The fasteners that hold the bench together are PVC nipples, washers, and nuts. Plastic. I didnt know this wuen i bought it. I was going to glue and pound dowel rods into the holes and just use bolts as usual but after having assembled the bench, i was quite impressed with how sturdy it was. I had to add some additional cross supports under the top and shelf to hold more weight, but over it was more sturdy than i thought.

I do not own a brake. I bought a steel demon blade for my circular saw and cut the shape i needed. I used a cut off dosc in and angle grinder to cut some reliefs at the bends and bent the edges by hand. Well, i started the bend by hand and finished with a hammer because that stuff is hard as hell to bend. I used aluminum angle i riveted to the corners.

Back