What's new
What's new

What sump oil for a SB shaper?

SB '55

Aluminum
The manual says "about" SUS 200, which equates to an ISO rating in the mid 40's, as best I can figure. The only things I see with this viscosity in McMaster's and Enco's catalogs are hydraulic oils. Seems like a way oil or circulating gear oil would be what I'm after. But all those are either on the low side, at ISO 32, or the high side at 68.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I use the same medium-weight machine oil in my SB shaper as I do on the 9A lathe ("B" - gearbox, countershaft). It's McMaster-Carr #3025K29, called "Multi-Purpose Machine Oil 46", and is rated at 193-235 SUS. Seems to work very well.

Paula

Thank you again, Paula.

The restoration is coming along nicely, and with the drawing you supplied in the other thread, I now have a nice new feed screw for the toolhead.

While I have your attention, there's one more thing (surprise!). Since Plaza Machinery does not seem to have the grad dial for this machine, it looks like I'll have to fab one myself.

My question is: are the numbers on the dial applied to be readable with the toolhead in the normal (vertical, with ball crank up) position, or are they just like the ones on the compound and crossfeed for the 9A?

Mike

Hi Mike, they are readable with the crank up. Here's a picture of the dial (since I still don't have it put back together yet
redface.gif
):

SHAPDIAL.jpg

Just as I suspected. It only makes sense.

If you're feeling bad about having the slide disassembled, think about my situation, with the whole machine taken down to the last nut, shaft, and cotter pin.

Gotta tell you though, I love it.

Mike

Back