What's new
What's new

What are we missing? 10K Gear Engagement

markz528

Hot Rolled
My brother in law has a fairly new to him 10K. He sent me a text that totally confuses me - I tried to call him but did not reach him.

I don't know if he ever engaged the lead screw, but it does not look like the gears line up. What are we missing? I do know he had to fix the spindle, but doubt anything changed when he did that, but I don't know.

What are we missing?

10K1.jpg
10K2.jpg

Great point! Thank you!

He must of slid the head stock over when he was repairing the spindle. I hope that he did not bang on the spindle!

I thought that the head stock was fixed with bolts to the ways but now I see that is not the case.

Here's what you are missing:

attachment.php

Here's a picture of the gear train on my 10K.
I believe your headstock casting should be flush with the end of the bed and correct me if I'm wrong, the power to the switch doesn't belong behind the banjo.
Hope this helps.
CWC(4)
ps. don't know why these photos are turned 90 degrees from photos I uploaded, but can't seem to do anything about it.

IMG_7740.jpgIMG_7741.jpg

If you are missing the idler gear and it's mounting hardware, send me a pm, I have some spare parts.

If you have the parts, make adjustments as others have said and all should be good.

Like so on this 9" - if something needs to move, move it - like the head stock

View attachment 276871

Yup - you nailed it. Looks like the head stock was loose since he bought it last year. He said that before he fixed the spindle (and he did not bang on it!) the gear engagement was minimal.

Today he found that the front bolt was totally loose and the other was not tight enough either. He located the head stock properly, tightened the bolts and all is good! Thanks for all the help!

As far as pics being rotated, I cannot figure out how to do it correctly in W10. W10 has its own mind on that......... I have to rotate the pics in W7 to get them to post properly.

IMG_3394.jpg

Back