What's new
What's new

What is this and what does it do?

CVRIV

Aluminum
So theres some stuff that came with my lathe purchase that i have no idea what it is or how its used.

Firstly what goes into these holes?
0415211834a_HDR.jpg
0415211834c_HDR.jpg

What is this? What is it for?
0415211839.jpg

I have several of these. What are they? 0415211840.jpg

And what is this? It appear to be a bump stop. What how is it used with that fancy dial?
0415211834_HDR.jpg

I have more but this is good for now. I need a break.

So theres some stuff that came with my lathe purchase that i have no idea what it is or how its used.

Firstly what goes into these holes?
View attachment 318981
View attachment 318982

What is this? What is it for?
View attachment 318983

I have several of these. What are they? View attachment 318984

And what is this? It appear to be a bump stop. What how is it used with that fancy dial?
View attachment 318985

I have more but this is good for now. I need a break.

the hole on #1 is where the dauber goes .. the dauber is pic #3 it's no longer used, but was used to put white grease (lead based) on a fixed center. Now we mostly use live centers, but sometimes a fixed center (half cut away) is needed. But the grease is no longer avail. You can use a high pressure lube instead.

#4 is a dog , when turning between centers it engages either a flat plate with a hole, or as I do I put in a shop made center in the chuck, true it up, and drive the dog off the chuck jaws.

#5 is a precision carriage stop. It allows you to turn to a point and stop at the same point every time.
Good if you are turning a bunch of the same thing. You measure out the stick out and then it stops you at that point each time.

The hole in the tailstock is for center lubrication when using a dead center. Photo 3 goes in that opening. #2 is the lever for engaging the back gear. In order to use it, the pin on the face of the big gear next to the chuck is pulled out. Then the lever is pulled forward to engage the back gear which slows the spindle down about 6:1. #4 is a lathe dog that is used to couple a shaft being turned to a drive plate that is used in place of the chuck. The work is inserted through the opening and clamped with the set screw. The the center hole on the end of the work is mounted on the headstock center and the tail of the dog is inserted in an opening of the drive plate. #5 is a carriage stop. The dial is graduated in .001 increments fine control of the stop location.

Get a copy of How to Run a Lathe by South Bend. How to use these tools is explained.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...1&_nkw=how+to+run+a+lathe+south+bend&_sacat=0

Tom

In pic #2 i was referring to the theaded hole near the back gear lever. Thanks for the info. Im going to have to research some of this stuff. Also the dauber doesnt really fit that hole well. Its small compares to the hole, so i didnt think it went there.

So is that actually a split pin in the boss of the handle? Unless someone has drilled that hole out, and lets hope not, the hole is tapered for a taper pin. It might be OK in that situation, but split pins don't have near the shear strength of a taper pin, and driving one into a tapered hole is going to let it wallow around and cause mischief.

So is that actually a split pin in the boss of the handle? Unless someone has drilled that hole out, and lets hope not, the hole is tapered for a taper pin. It might be OK in that situation, but split pins don't have near the shear strength of a taper pin, and driving one into a tapered hole is going to let it wallow around and cause mischief.

yea its meant for a tapered pin, not a roll pin.
but I doubt in this location that there is any downside. It's not a critical fit like when it's used for the gearbox or the drive.

And roll pins have higher strength than tapered pins which are soft. A roll pin is spring steel .. hardened .....

Lets hope the op didn't replace it in key locations, the taper locks the part and it will not have any slop.

look out or some one will try to tell you it stuff your lathe dose not need so you should give or sell it to them but hey we suspect your a bit brighter then that . well maybe

I drilled out that hole and installed the rolled pin. The taper pin would not come out so i had to drill it out and had a horrible time drilling it out as well. The hole was ruined so i enlarged it and drive in the roll pin. The back gear will disengage way before the roll pin would shear. That pin is merely to keep the eccentric parts concentric. Thats all. Thats the only pin i had to replace witha a roll pin like that. All the other tapers are either the original or newly replaced taper pins. That roll pin was the only hiccup with this restoration.

Does anyone know what that threaded hole is for in pic #2? Its riggt next to the back gear lever.

Back