What's new
What's new

What's a good price for a heavy 10?

jrd-sb

Plastic
I saw this ad close to me.

South Bend Heavy 10 Machinist Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

The thing looks reasonably clean, but clearly has seen some use. The seller doesn't say anything about tooling, it sounds like just the lathe.

I'm not sure I need another project right now, but the shop I used to work in had a bigger South Bend (might have been a heavy 10, or something bigger) which was awfully useful. Is this snap-it-up, or run-away, or something in between?

$600 to $3.000
ReF; South Bend Heavy 10 Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Nothing wrong with a single lever machine, That one looks like a fair deal..Taper atachment is a plus...
likely the old 3jaw has .010 or more out of true as should be expected from any old 3 jaw.. Pick up a 4 jaw for close work a given.

If you want a lathe that seems fine...what do you intend? Once you get used to a lathe's faults you can still do pretty close work...

Qt; [The seller doesn't say anything about tooling, it sounds like just the lathe.]
You shou;d get the chuck, face plate, rocker tool holder..likely some tool bits and a tail chuck INHO....

Proceed with some caution. $1000 isn't a bad price for a 10L that's in good shape. However, from the pictures, the "frosting" that's on the ways does not look anything like the factory frosting. What's shown there looks more like some decorative frosting that was done with a really heavy hand and maybe with something like a screwdriver rather than a machinist's scraper. One might wonder why that was done.

I looked at a similar lathe several years ago. The owner claimed that the bed had been "re-scraped" by a group of touring Swedish craftsmen that went around ministering to various machines. It was a horrible hack job and the band of craftsmen had virtually ruined a serviceable lathe.

Yeah.

I don't really need another project right now. I'll pass on this one, another will come along when the time is right.

Back