What's new
What's new

Where to buy heavy 10 headstock shims?

FlyinChip

Aluminum
hi all, my new large spindle installed and following the clearance check procedure, zero movement (and the spindle wont turn). So I'll need some shims perhaps .001" but an assortment of 1,2,maybe 3 thousandths shims would help.

I searched and no luck. I know they can be made from commonly available shim stock, but I'd rather get them in the exact shape.

20200104_194930 (Small) - Copy.jpg

I must not be good at searching. I searched for south bend shims, and a couple other combos with shims in the terms, no luck.

But that link you sent me he was selling them for $40 four years ago. To me thats a lot.

BTW I looked up aluminum foil and heavy duty tin foil is .0008 to .0011 thick. Not sure if there is a reason not to use that (not consistent enough, too soft, ???)

Graingers sells .001 stainless shim stock for about $17 for a large quantity but then I'll have to cut it out. I do have a gasket hole punch set though which might work for the holes. The outside can be done with scissors I would imagine.

I did a forum search on "Heavy 10 Shims" and got quite a few hits. The guy in the link I sent you sells the laminated shims in brass, close to the original. I don't know anything else about his shims except what is in his posting. Maybe they are die cut and the price reflects the price of the die. I would think that you should choose a metal that is below cast iron on the galvanic corrosion chart (like brass) than above it (like aluminum).

I did a forum search on "Heavy 10 Shims" and got quite a few hits. The guy in the link I sent you sells the laminated shims in brass, close to the original. I don't know anything else about his shims except what is in his posting. Maybe they are die cut and the price reflects the price of the die. I would think that you should choose a metal that is below cast iron on the galvanic corrosion chart (like brass) than above it (like aluminum).

always learn something here, in this case, consideration of dissimilar metals! thanks

OK I broke down and ordered the laminated ones from fsh on ebay. Easy and correct solution!

I would think that you should choose a metal that is below cast iron on the galvanic corrosion chart (like brass) than above it (like aluminum).

OK I looked into this finally. First, you'd need an electrolyte (such as sea water) for this dissimilar metal to corrode through electrolysis. Second, even if it was, aluminum is more anodic and would be sacrificed like zink on a stainless boat shaft.

So even though electrolysis seems unlikely anyway, I am not getting why you suggest using shims that are below (less anodic) rather than above on the chart (below)? Wouldnt it be better to sacrifice the shim rather than valuable cast iron machined headstock parts?

Galvanic Series (electrochemical series)

Any liquid can act like an electrolyte - it's just that some are more active than others. You're also talking about sacrificial anodes, where something is added to protect something else. In our case, BOTH metals are important, so you want any attack to be on the more massive part (less effect on the whole). If the shims get dissolved, you will have problems with your lathe. If a little cast iron gets dissolved, you may never notice (except for some pitting). But I think that we are over thinking the speed of the reaction - it might take hundreds of years to make any significant impact. Let's wait a while and re-assess this at that time!

Back