What's new
What's new

Where do I find assembly manual to tear down and clean a South Bend 13?

paintballnsk

Aluminum
Hello,

I just got a South Bend 13, and it's pretty much caked in old grease from head to toe. I'd like to tear the whole thing down, clean it, put new wicks in it, and put it back together. I know it's not a small task, but this I see as a machine that's going to last me a lifetime, and I want to start using it as restored as I can possible make it.

Thanks,
Nick

I have that book. It covers the 10L, 13 and 16". Its a good book, very helpful with various tips and tricks along with explaining the right order to take things apart.

Thanks guys. I picked up the rebuild kit with book. Seems like a good idea to change all the wicks while I'm at it.

Hmm.. I guess I might as well repaint it while I got the whole thing apart too.

The lathe seems to be in great shape, so I'm hoping not to find too many problems. It's just caked in grease. When I inspected the gears when I bought it, I had to wipe them down because the grease was so thick I could barely tell if they were missing teeth or not haha. I guess too much grease is better than none, but turning things by hand, everything feels noticeably gummy. Smooth, but not free, if that makes any sense.

Quote : ..... I guess too much grease is better than none.....

I have a 13 . As far as I know there is no place where grease should be used .
Look at a lubrication chart ; there's one in the stickies above .

Quote : ..... I guess too much grease is better than none.....

I have a 13 . As far as I know there is no place where grease should be used .
Look at a lubrication chart ; there's one in the stickies above .

Could just be decades of coagulated sludge. She needs a good cleaning haha. There is a port in the step pulley that says grease on it, but I'll just follow the recommendations in the book for lubing everything up.

I agree you should use oil for the time being until everything frees up.

once it does you may switch to grease for the cone pulley and backgears shaft, but make sure if you use "superlube" it is the NLG1 version and not the more common NLG2 version which can lead to overheating issues.

but better yet is buy the Roy Dean stuff if you decide to use grease.

Back