Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    Well, I didn't come close to buying anything- too rich for my blood. All of the lathes went in the $3600- $3800 range. You have to remember that with the 'juice' and sales tax, you're in the $4500 range. Granted, the lathes did appear to be in unusually good condition, although I didn't go look at them in person. I see plenty of lathes around for half that. For hobby use, I didn't need a perfect machine.
    Everything in that auction looked in unusually good condition to me! I am lucky that it was an ocean away because I might have bought a lot of stuff that I dont have room for!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are lucky that you live in a part of the country where you have a large selection. I live in Colorado and drove to Casper, Wyoming to buy my Heavy 10 off Craigs List. I ended up with a nice lathe that came with several attachments. I have never regretted what I spent to get my lathe. Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder.
    Tail Dragger

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All of the posts I read here predicted high prices for heavy 10s, sounds like somebody had the $$$ for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think part of the reason that the Heavy 10's bring good money is because they were used in a lot of schools back in the day and people that ran them in school are now at an age where they can afford things like machine tools and also have time to use them. I just sold a South Bend 13 inch with a 3 jaw chuck, drill chuck, collet stand with a half dozen collets but no drawbar and a threading dial for $1,500.

I'm kind of feeling bad about selling my well tooled heavy 10 a few years back. Probably sold it for about what the tooling would go for today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    Damn! Those Heavy 10s went ~$3600 +7% tax +16% buyer's premium!

Yeah, close to $4500 "out the door" and plus transport fees (if needed) to your location. But damn, those heavy 10's looked to be as clean and nice as any available ANYWHERE! I don't think I saw even a tiny little nick in the entire bed lengths. These all had flame hardened 4.5 ft beds, D1-4 camlock spindles, VFD's, metric transposing gears (how much is a metric set, if you could even FIND one), telescoping steady, 3 & 4 jaw SB chucks, collets, lot 94 even had a taper attachment. I certainly was drooling over them, and it was probably a good thing that I was not closer to the auction... I still have my $4500, you see

I guess the point I'm trying to make is I think it would be very hard to duplicate those heavy 10 lathes for the same money if starting with one that needed some TLC. I know it's hard to tell definitively, looked like original paint on them, and all looked to be plug and play, ready to make parts. You normally just don't see them in that condition right off the shop floor. Yes, it's a lot of money, but I bet the purchasers will be VERY happy. OK, feel free to burst my bubble

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One way to have the capability’s of a heavy 10 for less is to buy a 13. The 13 is a heavy 10 on steroids, and often sells for less. The tailstock travel and compound travel are better. The bed is heavier,and that’s the wrinkle. You need an engine crane to move the pieces of a 13. A heavy 10 can be dismantled and the parts carried and hand trucked to your basement. Someone mentioned this factor earlier but no one really acknowledged it.

7. Likes Kevin T liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The SB 1308, which is imported, also brought $3600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 1308 is a much newer lathe with a geared headstock and other amenitys not a ww2 belt driven machine. The ease of moving the heavy 10 is definitely a factor in the machine’s price.
    I was fortunate to pick up a 13 for 1200 a few years ago with steady rest,follow rest,face plate ,turret tool post and 3 jaw chuck. Other goodies that I bought were lower in price than if I had a heavy 10. The micrometer carriage stop is the exception,both machines use the same one with a different shoe.so the price is the same. You can make the shoe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to apologize for the person/s looking to purchase a 10" SB lathe that prices for these machines might be driven higher as I was one of the purchasers in the CLT auction.
    Also a "Your Welcome" to the current owners of these lathes, the value MIGHT be higher too!

Just got home last night with it, looked better in person than the pics.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

May I be the first to say "YOU SUCK"!

Congratulations, it's hard to imagine that it could look better in person.
    Makes mine look like a rat rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Enjoy......