What's new
What's new

Why labeled 10K & Model A?

markz528

Hot Rolled
My BIL recently acquired a 70's lathe from someone on this board. I'm confused by the nameplate. It says Model A. I thought a CL670Z was a 10K.

I do have to admit that I don't know what a Model A is vs a 10K. I do know that a 10K is also referred to as a light 10.

Can someone clarify why it says Model A on a CL670Z catalog number?

10k.jpg

Sorry about the sideways picture, W10 really screws me up. I can get it right on my W7 machine but not on my W10 laptop.

10k model A

10K is the size, a "light" 10 as opposed to 10L, which is the "heavy" version of the 10" lathe.
The "A" designation is for how it's outfitted.
A model "C" was bare bones, no feeds with manual change gears, the model "B" had "Friction clutch" for longitudinal and cross feeds, with manual change gears, while the "A" had friction clutch/feeds, and the quick change gear box.
You can see different model designations on s. wells site.
CWC(4)

10K is the size, a "light" 10 as opposed to 10L, which is the "heavy" version of the 10" lathe.
The "A" designation is for how it's outfitted.
A model "C" was bare bones, no feeds with manual change gears, the model "B" had "Friction clutch" for longitudinal and cross feeds, with manual change gears, while the "A" had friction clutch/feeds, and the quick change gear box.
You can see different model designations on s. wells site.
CWC(4)

Thank you very much!

The 9" SB lathes, which were sort of a fore-runner of the 10K (even though the 9 continued to be made concurrent with the 10K) (the 10K is basically an improved 9) came (the 9 s) in A, B, and C, which as the other person mentioned, went from bare-bones of built-in-features on the lathe (the C) to well-featured (the A). I have read that during the very earliest years of the 10K, there were B and C variants of the 10K, but, that, at some point, pretty much all/only "A" variants of the 10K were in production. But, SB, tending to be a very tradition-guided company, probably kept calling the relevant 10Ks "A"

Back