What's new
What's new

why use a dead center?

I use a live center, But i have 1/2 of a dead center to use for facing if needed. You would use a dead center in the headstock spindle for turning between centers...Bob

Hi There,

Live centers are used for general and high speed turning. But all live centers will have some TIR. Depending on the quality and condition of the live center, it usually is in the tenths of thousants of an inch but it is there.

A dead center cannot have any TIR and hence is more accurate (of course depending on its condition too). But this is only necessary for the finer classes of work.

Long ago, There were no tailstock live centers and when they were developed, they were expensive and not as accurate. Nowadays, they are cheaper (comparatively) and accurate enough for most classes of work.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

And for the reasons Webb gave, even though I have a live center for it, I do all my grinding between dead carbide centers on my B&S #4 Universal Grinder.

The grinder is better suited for use of a dead center(than a lathe) because it has very sensitive adjustments of tail stock quill.

John

Back