What's new
What's new

Wicking Felt Question

Kevin T

Stainless
I am working my way through a Southbend lathe refurbish and I am running into issues with my rebuild kit felt sizing. Seems like very few of the grooves are a perfect match for the supplied sizes and I am second guessing myself now as I am down to the last few pieces of felt in my kit. I ordered some F-1 wicking felt "cord" (round cross section) and want to use it in place of the "strips" (rectangular cross section) in my apron.

Maybe I am over thinking it but I just want to be sure and ask before I close it up. Are there any issues with doing this? The concern is longevity and whether or not the rotation of the shaft will break down the material if it is somehow made differently. .... or is the capillary oiling system foolproof and anything will work?

Thanks

Thanks to whomever moved this here. I originally posted in the machine refurbish section but over 50 views and not one reply means that was the wrong place! LOL! C'mon guys what do you know about the wicks? I want to button that apron up today when I get home from work.

IMO strips are better than rope for the apron...rope mainly distributes from end to end(point A to B) while strips will distribute better anywhere they touch along the way.(points A,B,C,etc.)

Isn't it in your kit you mentioned?

Not quite enough of the right sizes to make it through a full 16" rebuild. I had to make a lot of calls along the way to get the right fit and now I am short or should say I am limited to size choices that aren't right!

a piece of wool door weather striping worked just fine in my spindle.

as for round or strip, probably won't matter as long as you can get enough of it in there. can you fit two round wicks side by side in the slot?

IMO you should be sure it's F1 that you use...if rope is all you got, not hard to do a little test to make sure it will get the oil where you need.

I am kind of guessing it's the long run that ties off you need? If so it is the most important one....if at all possible would use the right stuff.

IMO you should be sure it's F1 that you use...if rope is all you got, not hard to do a little test to make sure it will get the oil where you need.

I am kind of guessing it's the long run that ties off you need? If so it is the most important one....if at all possible would use the right stuff.

It's the long run and then the horse shoe one also. I used the cord both places and it seems to work really well.

I re-wicked my widebed 9 a while back and wasn't able to find a kit for it, so I bought a couple of off-cut sheets from durofelt for pretty cheap. Just had to cut strips to size for each of the wicks with a razor blade and straight edge.

I got the smallest stuff I could from them and I bet it was enough to do ten machines. How long of a piece do you need for the runs you're missing? If I can find where I stashed the extra and it's long enough, I can slice off a strip to send your way.

Back