What's new
What's new

Will a 9 inch tailstock fit a 10 inch SB lathe

Lost in LA

Cast Iron
I am looking to up grade my 10 inch tail stock and have found a 9 inch tail stock with hand lever.

Is that a simple swap out? Modifications required?

Particulars:
CL 187 A
5880 RKL 11

Lost

1st, assuming the 10 is a 10k, not tha “heavy 10”?

Has anyone measured where the extra height was added?
If only the base height is different & none of the other detiails changed, it could work using your existing base.

If you were hoping to have two inter-changeable TS’s, then no, you would still be out of luck.

IIRC the 10k base has wipers, 9” does not.
A few years ago I made a long bed 10k by mixing & matching some 9” parts including the bed. (Planed & scraped everything) but don’t recall specific details of rebuilding the TS base parts.

Be aware how badly SB TS bases tilt down after a bit of use. Whatever you contrive, it would be worth completely rebuilding the entire TS to align & shim to height to get best effectiveness from a lever op.

Smt

1st, assuming the 10 is a 10k, not tha “heavy 10”?

Has anyone measured where the extra height was added?
If only the base height is different & none of the other detiails changed, it could work using your existing base.

If you were hoping to have two inter-changeable TS’s, then no, you would still be out of luck.

IIRC the 10k base has wipers, 9” does not.
A few years ago I made a long bed 10k by mixing & matching some 9” parts including the bed. (Planed & scraped everything) but don’t recall specific details of rebuilding the TS base parts.

Be aware how badly SB TS bases tilt down after a bit of use. Whatever you contrive, it would be worth completely rebuilding the entire TS to align & shim to height to get best effectiveness from a lever op.

Smt

Unfortunately that will not work. The baseplate for the 9A And the 10K are the same height. It is the upper casting that is different.

Stay safe and have fun, Joe.

There ya go.
OTOH machining a extra height base from Surabaya would be a simple task. Eliminate tilt & re-acquire center height at the same time.

smt

Not so simple. Unless you have the proper tools, and experience, it can be an exercise in futility. The V way must be precisely square with the casting guides, and then hand scraped for precision. Any deviation on the RAM as it extends can cause problems. Just cutting the V way Properly, Can be tricky For a beginner. Although it could be a good learning experience.

Stay safe and have fun, Joe.

LOL! "words"..

I actually know a lady from Surabaya!

One so lovely she probably causes her appreciative husband to have.. .... never mind...."all of the above?"

Frickin’ auto correct - can just about imagine how that was derived from “durabar”.

As far as the task, it would be a good advanced beginner exercise on a mill. Similar but more useful than machining a set of Vee blocks.

smt

Frickin’ auto correct - can just about imagine how that was derived from “durabar”.
It could get worse. Turned-over the new Sales Force Compensation & Incentive Plan for Cable & Wireless, Americas, Inc. to my PA.

She hit it with a spell-checker and distributed it.

First thing, EARLY next morning, (thankfully!) one of the brightest and best, New York branch, is on the phone refusing to sign-on.

"Why?"

"I don't HAVE a sister!"

Spell checker had converted everything in the "incentive" family to "incest'!

:(

As far as the task, it would be a good advanced beginner exercise on a mill. Similar but more useful than machining a set of Vee blocks.

smt

Aye, but .... the typical SB newbie has no access to mill, planer, or shaper, would have to "stroke shape" it on the SB itself.

Technique is a proven one, tedious or not, it's dirt-CHEAP in tooling!

Uber-light lathe under it, and known to be worn by definition?

I think I'd rather pay a third-party who HAD mill, planer, or shaper?

Not as if one ordinarily needs to do it more than once or twice in a whole lifetime, if-even.

Translation: no. Not without a fairly massive re-work.
Question do you know if the internal parts of a 9 tailstock can be used in a 10k casting? I've found a 10k casting with no parts. I'm wondering if I could get the 9 and use the parts in the 10 casting?

The quills for the 9, 10K and 10L are the same diameter and length. The threaded bushing that holds the quill screw at the back of the tailstock are also the same thread, 1 1/8” 16 if I remember correctly. There might be a difference between the 9 and 10s with the location of the key. The 10K and 10L have the 1/4” key on the bottom. The 9 might be different.

Hope this helps.

Ben

The quills for the 9, 10K and 10L are the same diameter and length. The threaded bushing that holds the quill screw at the back of the tailstock are also the same thread, 1 1/8” 16 if I remember correctly. There might be a difference between the 9 and 10s with the location of the key. The 10K and 10L have the 1/4” key on the bottom. The 9 might be different.

Hope this helps.

Ben
Ok, I will have to check the key location on the 9. Do you know if a 10L tailstock will work on a 10k machine?

Nevermind, I researched it and a 10L tailstock won't fit a 10L as far as I can tell the ways are wider on the 10L.

Back