What's new
What's new

Will a south 9a lathe bed bolt up to a cabinet for a heavy 10?

timj

Plastic
I have an undermount 9A bed/lathe that has no cabinet right now

I am looking at a heavy 10 cabinet online for sale and wondering if they will work together. WOuld be nice if the holes lined up. Not sure if it will work as easy as I am hoping

thanks

No mounting holes will line up. Bed widths are different and the countershaft mounting under the cabinet is different. That's not to say you could not make it work but it will involve a whole lot of hole drilling and fussing around to get the components mounted where they belong. Personally, I wouldn't do it but you may have more time and patience than I have.

Would be really neat if you could find an actual 9" UMD cabinet with the cast iron drive unit.Probably one in a million.
I have a 13" with one of those and it is very solid.My 9B is mounted on a sheet of 1/2" aluminum with black pipe legs.Neither one is bolted to the floor and I check them with a starrett precision level occasionally.They dont budge.Both are Quiet.Im an electrician but I worked with a bunch of old Millwrights.

Would be really neat if you could find an actual 9" UMD cabinet with the cast iron drive unit.Probably one in a million.
I have a 13" with one of those and it is very solid.My 9B is mounted on a sheet of 1/2" aluminum with black pipe legs.Neither one is bolted to the floor and I check them with a starrett precision level occasionally.They dont budge.Both are Quiet.Im an electrician but I worked with a bunch of old Millwrights.

Thanks for the confirmation!

I have seen cabinets every now and then. I will pass oon the heavey 10 - not worth my time.

The sheet metal cabinets are not much compared to a cast iron UMD.The thing has pillow blocks for a swing shaft that would allow you to fabricate a drive unit on a plate that could be engaged and disengaged from outside.That makes moving the belt easy.

What length bed do you have? I have a UMD cabinet with the motor mount stuff. I believe it was for a 42" bed. I will have to check as I have it covered right now. The paint would have to be stripped and you would need one drawer. This cabinet has three drawers on the right side and one is missing. Should be easy to find one. Has a door on the left for access to the motor. PM me if interested. I live in NE PA.

What length bed do you have? I have a UMD cabinet with the motor mount stuff. I believe it was for a 42" bed. I will have to check as I have it covered right now. The paint would have to be stripped and you would need one drawer. This cabinet has three drawers on the right side and one is missing. Should be easy to find one. Has a door on the left for access to the motor. PM me if interested. I live in NE PA.

OK, thanks. PM sent!

Back