What's new
What's new

Wiper Felts - Time to Replace

Kevin T

Stainless
I have been using my lathe more often lately and noticed that I am wearing a shiny spot on the way surface closest to me. I started looking around the machine and noticed the forward wipers are pretty dirty and have some small chips stuck in them so I am hoping that is the issue. I ordered some replacements and will try to keep them cleaner but what do you guys do? Do you replace them regularly? How long do you get out of them?

Also I do a fair bit of using a file to quickly debur the edge of material and some power hack saw work to quickly cut off pieces in the chuck. I am pretty good at putting a cardboard box under the cut to catch the saw dust but I was wondering what you guys use for this...

Since you've already ordered replacements, then advice is rather moot. But no harm in removing old felts, soaking in mineral spirits, squeezing out
the old oil, and then reinstalling. Your nice new white ones will turn black very soon, but that's the WAY it goes.
:nutter:
Just inspect them once a month or so, and keep them well oiled.

I don't worry too much about filings dust. I try to wipe it up with an oily rag before too long or use shop vac.
When I'm polishing and/or slinging oil, I put clear plastic on the ways and against the wall. Something flexible
and disposable.

PMc

When you're bored, whittle up something like this that oils the heck out of the ways. Being OCD there is a piece of 100 mesh brass screen in the oilers to keep chips out. I made them out of some PVC plastic.

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l3.jpg

l4.jpg

Big chips get pushed out of the way. Its the small or finite stuff that gets embedded in felts that I don't like. I try rinsing them out on occasion as Mcload suggested. But I look to replace every two years or so, depending on how they look.

I know kevin t does not grind too much in his shop, for those that do I'd replace a little more often. I'm pretty conscious of my grinding, and wiping ways, before and after use regardless, as most owners are I would think. As that little bit of housing keeping goes a long way.

:)

May I ask were people are buying from, especially if you know they ship abroad. :D

I do like those oilers.

I replace mine every 6 months or so. Just not a fan of dragging embedded chips along the ways.

I always grab a paper shop towel before I do any work on it and wipe the ways clean and re-oil. Takes two minutes, and removes any abrasive dust that might have settled from other shop operations before I slide the carriage anywhere.

Back