What's new
What's new

WTB: 13" Single Tumbler Gear Train Parts

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
I am in the last leg of the restoration of my 1941 13" lathe (113-B), with the smaller 1-7/8"-8 spindle, and single tumbler gear box.

I would like to replace a couple parts in the gear train, due to excessive wear. The lathe functions, but the wear in a couple of these gears make one heck of a racket. :)

What I am looking for is:

• the 18 tooth stud gear (PT612K18T1)
  • the sliding gear with the 24 tooth and 66 tooth gears (AS654T1).
  • the 32 tooth spindle output gear

I believe everything else is in serviceable condition or I have already found replacements.

Looking for either NOS or used in good condition with minimal wear.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3234.jpg

Hi measure the diameter of your gears I have several of the old gear sets stored in y back building. I will check and see if any are right for your machine.
Brian
I am in the last leg of the restoration of my 1941 13" lathe (113-B), with the smaller 1-7/8"-8 spindle, and single tumbler gear box.

I would like to replace a couple parts in the gear train, due to excessive wear. The lathe functions, but the wear in a couple of these gears make one heck of a racket. :)

What I am looking for is:

• the 18 tooth stud gear (PT612K18T1)
  • the sliding gear with the 24 tooth and 66 tooth gears (AS654T1).
  • the 32 tooth spindle output gear

I believe everything else is in serviceable condition or I have already found replacements.

Looking for either NOS or used in good condition with minimal wear.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 316385

These are the best I can get using a dial caliper.

The pinion gear OD is 2.139" with a ID of 1.425"
The stud gear OD is 1.423"
The 66 tooth sliding gear OD is 4.845"
The 24 tooth gear OD is 1.865"

The sliding gear came as an assembly. Although the 66 tooth part is pressed on with a key, as I understand it.

Here's a short video that demonstrates the noise, and where it's likely coming from. The video does not do this justice, and I was not running in the high RPM range. At max RPM, the noise is practically unbearable.

Hi I have the 24-66 gear it is still on the bracket and looks pretty good. I you want it it is yours for the cost of shipping. I have had it for a good 20 years just lucky I didn't scrap it. Send me a private message with your address if you want it.
Brian Miller

Hi I have the 24-66 gear it is still on the bracket and looks pretty good. I you want it it is yours for the cost of shipping. I have had it for a good 20 years just lucky I didn't scrap it. Send me a private message with your address if you want it.
Brian Miller

If you didn’t get my PM (I’ve seen some strange behavior with PMs here) you can send me an email to [email protected]

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One option I am considering for the spindle gear.

This gear is available from Boston Gear:

BG 10184 Steel Change Gear.jpg

As well as Amazon for $35. It appears to have the right diameter, tooth count, DP (16) and PA (14.5). It's a little narrower than the stock gear (11/16" vs 1/2"), and the bore is smaller (1-7/16" vs 3/4").

My thought is I can chuck it up, bore it to dimension, and then figure out how to broach the key way.

I still haven't located a suitable substitute for the stud gear (18 tooth, DP 14, PA 14.5), however.

Good news and bad news.

Good news, I managed to find replacements for all the gears I thought I needed.

The stud gear I found on Facebook from another user of the South Bend Lathe page.
The spindle gear, I modified the one from Boston Gear above.
The sliding gear I got from millermachine - that one REALLY needed it. The stud was completely gone and it scored the inside of my original something very bad. Both the stud and the gear were junk on mine. Brian's was a life saver.

Got it all back togetgher,

The bad news, it still makes a racket with the sliding gear is in. LOL!!!!!

It has to be the connection between the sliding gear and the primary drive gear. There's no way to adjust that, so I have no idea what I would do except try and replace that, too. But I am tired of trying to chase it and throwing more money and time after it. I'll have to keep my eye out for one, and if I find it cheap enough, give it a try.

For now, I am happy with the lathe, and unless i need to cut threads for the one where the gear is in, I'll run it with the gear out. :)

Back