What's new
What's new

wtb morse headstock adpt for 10L

mobile_bob

Stainless
its been years since i bought my 10L and i thought i had the adapter that fits in the head stock spindle to adapt to morse taper
number 3 iirc, maybe number 2?

anyway iirc there was once available this piece and i would like to know where one gets something like this so that i can turn
a barrel between centers.

i do have all the 5c collet stuff, including the adapter for that and i suppose i could fab up a straight center and mount it in a collet
but i need all the bed length i can get and having to use a collet i think would reduce the available length?

anyone know where one might be bought?

thanks
bob g

Is this what you are looking for? It is 1.668 on the big end, 1.518 on the small end and 3.310 overall all length. The center is a #2 morse taper.
I dont even want to tell you what I hoped it fit when I spend $20 on it. So if it works I would like $20 and shipping.
P6080825.jpg

There's another way to skin that cat.

Keep your eyes out for a hardinge 5C center. Basically this
is an item that looks like a 5C collet on the left end, and a
male 60 degree center on the right end. Heat treated
through and through.

Jim Rozen makes an excellent suggestion. But, since you have a 5C set-up, the easiest and fasted way is use one of your 5C collets, say 1/2 or 3/4, put a short piece of stock in it and use your compound to cut a 60 degree center yourself. It will be on the money and you will not have to spend a dime. No, it is not hardened, but it will work fine for one or two jobs and then you can just recut it.

If he does that, it's important to put a step in the part so it doesn't get pushed back
into the collet. If it's a half inch collet, start with 5/8 stock, turn down the
spigot so it's half inch, and then turn the 60 on the larger end. That way
it can't possibly disappear into the collet if it gets loaded hard.

Back